Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Census

Options
  • 20-02-2003 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

As we have some memebers from Northern Ireland on here, i thought you might be interested in these Census figures from the 2001 Census :

306 Ancestor Worship
    307 Asatru
    314 Druidism
    323 Pagan
    324 New Age
    325 Occult
    326 Pantheism
    331 Satanism
    339 Vodun
    340 Wicca
    343 Celtic Pagan
    344 Own Belief System
    348 Animism
    897 Heathen (these were lumped in with No Religion apparently, in the overall figures).

As the question on religion was optional on the census form, it is quite interesting to see so many people put down their religion as Pagan, or a derivation thereof...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by silja
    897 Heathen (these were lumped in with No Religion apparently, in the overall figures).

Were the 307 Asatru part of the 897 Heathens, or counted separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Talliesin
    Were the 307 Asatru part of the 897 Heathens, or counted separately?
    Probably separate in the above figures, then all lobbed together as other / no religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Julie Breen

What about the significant number of Hindus and Buddhists up here in the north, these are also pagan religeons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Julie Breen
    What about the significant number of Hindus and Buddhists up here in the north, these are also pagan religeons?

I'd say that there's an overlap between Hindu and Paganism as that term is normally defined by Western Pagans and again between Buddhism and Paganism.

The Hare Krishna sect, in their attitude to the physical plane, clearly have little in common with Paganism, while the Thuggite sect (which Hare Krishna was in many ways a reaction against) would have (and indeed Kali is much respected by many Western Pagans).

(FWIW I used to have a Hindu colleague that considered her faith to "fit" in with Western Paganism, but agreed with me that there were paths within Hinduism that didn't).

Strict Buddhism is also quite different from Paganism, again in its attitude to the physical plane, and also in its atheism. However a lot of Buddhist practice has strong borrowings from animist traditions (some to the extent that they disagree with how some other Buddhists define Buddhism). That would be were the overlap is.

As such I imagine that the overlap between Hindu and Western Paganism is the largest Pagan demographic in Northern Ireland, though whether they would consider themselves as such is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

i like trees
    set beliefs can suk my anus
    truth an love rule too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

hmmmmm

a very well tough out commet :)

Advertisement