Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need to reclaim our trade unions?

Options
  • 21-02-2003 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I met Joe Higgins, the TD for Dublin West for the first time tonight (and it was a big thing because we were on BBC Television and Northern Irish Radio (Cool FM to be exact)) and in talking to him some interesting points have been raised. In the UK, why is the TUC not supporting the Firefighters strike? We have heard verbal support but no financial aid nor general strike action has even been toyed with. I am friends with the President of NIPSA, Carmel Gates (the biggest trade union in NI) and her union hasn't considered even solidarity action though she herself would welcome it.
    In the matter of the war, why have the Shannon airport (warport?) workers not come out on strike to demand either that US military cargo passing through Ireland is inspected for weapons (Ireland is a neutral country and the law states that they must be inspected to ensure no weaponry is concealed) or all US traffic is denied access to Irish airports - is this such an unreasonable thing?
    Please, will Irish comrades give statements on the Trade Union situation in Eire because I am only familiar with NI/UK unions and I have to say that their general leadership is right wing, fat cat bureaucracy in a form that reminds me of Brussels.
    The question remains, do we, as the English comrades do, need to reclaim OUR trade unions as a voice - the most powerful voice - of working class people across the country.

Our Trade Unions 15 votes

We should make our trade unions fight FOR us instead of giving in to government/business demands over things like the Bin Tax
    0% 0 votes
    Our trade unions are fine.
    26% 4 votes
    We need to use the trade unions to stop the march to war through political pressure exerted by 'days of action' on the government
    20% 3 votes
    Trade Unions are counter productive
    26% 4 votes
    Trade Unions should limit themselves to issues directly effecting employment issues of their members
    26% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,406 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The reason is because unions are primarily there to represent workers in trade issues.
    Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Eire
    People here, generally don't refer to Éire, they refer to Ireland, as stated in the Constitution. In fact it is considered a bit of an insult. Do you refer to Italia, Deutschland, Muenchen and Koeln when speaking English?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

In the matter of the war, why have the Shannon airport (warport?) workers not come out on strike to demand either that US military cargo passing through Ireland is inspected for weapons

Maybe because, as a result of the US use of Shannon, little things like the restaraunt in the Terminal being full most of the time, instead of being like a ghost town, which it has begun to resemble following the drop-off in transatlantic traffic using Shannon.

Like it or not Éomer, the "comrades" as you call them are worried about the future of Shannon, a town which currently exists to service an airport and precious little else. Yes, there is a large industrial park in the town, but a number of companies have recently pulled out, and given the downturn in the Irish economy there are few others chomping at the bit to replace them. If Shannon "warport" dies, then so does Shannon town.

My two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I've never been part of a trade union so I would know much about them. But what I do know about them is from the outside.
    It seems to me that the unions have an image problem. The only time you hear about them is when they're striking or something other. You never hear a good word said about them.
    So what are they good for? Educate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Éire can be used if u are a republican claiming the whole island (ask Dev)...

Well I'd have to say u are right in alot of was Éomer..
    But one thing.
    In 1990 General Strikes became outlawed is Ireland.
    I think that is is criminal that the EU even let it happen. We can't strike against the government. We can't strike for political reason. We can't strike for ethical reasons...

i.e. ALL STRIKES ARE ILLEGAL UNLESS THEY ARE FOR LABOUR RELATIONS ISSUES...

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm bit of a one sided poll to be honest.

Trade Unions should be there to protect workers jobs, they should have no other sphere of influence or interest.

As regards the Eire thing I regard it as a bit insulting as anytime its used its usually by some Southern Brit talking down to us :rolleyes:

I may edit this poll with additional options to balance it up.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

In the UK, why is the TUC not supporting the Firefighters strike? We have heard verbal support but no financial aid nor general strike action has even been toyed with?

sympathy strikes have been banned in britain since the 80's.
    A union that brings its members out in support of other workers is liable to a hefty fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

LOL. A one-sided poll followed by a soap-box rant worthy of any seasoned SWP hack.

Éomer, if you're not a member of a far-left fringe group, let me reccomend that you join one. You'll do well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Added a few more options. Anyone want me to reset the poll ?

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Yes please.

(Could we have a “feed trade union members caster oil like in the good old days when HE was in power” option? :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Bah!, trade unions are for Trade!
    If they were for anything else, we'd have to call em Build Better Roads Unions, Anti-War Unions, We Want Better Hospitals Unions or We Don't Like the Tossers We Voted For Unions.

Advertisement