Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP1800 using PC133 - should I replace the ram?

• 21-02-2003 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

I've got two (mixed brand) sticks of SDRAM, both running at 133/cl 3.
    One of the sticks can run CL2 at 133, the other can only manage CL2 at 100, so I throttle them both to CL3... (I plan on running some benchmarks later to decide wether I should just ditch the 128MB ram stick in favour of slightly higher performance of the 256MB stick, or maybe dropping back to 100Hz to run them both at CL2, any ideas?)
    Now the real question is, should I just forget about the whole PC133 situation and go for a whole new kind of ram... is the ageing PC133 holding back my 1.6Ghz AthlonXP?
    I'd experiment with DDR (etc), but it means buying a new motherboard... I'm wondering if it's worth it?
    Can PC133 still cut it?

Any comments appreciated.
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

abit kd7 + ddr 3200

thats what im tellin ya to get ull notise the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

im in the same position pretty much. ive got a p4 1.8 ghz
    & just upgraded my existing 256 of pc133 sd-ram to 768 of same

think im gonna wait till the summer but then its a new mobo & ddr ram 4 me. personally i think its worth it as im upgrading a few things atm & plan to get a new mobo will give me usb2 & onboard raid,,,,so if i was to go out & buy a usb card & raid card id b paying the same as a new board anyway !.................confused ? i thought so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Santa, I have the same CPU running on an MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard with 2x256mb of PC2100 DDR, and its pretty sweet. The ram is cheap TwinMOS CL 2.5 stuff, but it works just fine at 2.0 @ 133mhz (266).

I'd say its worth getting a new motherboard. Look at it this way: If you get a good motherboard (Asus KT400 ones are nice), it will work just fine with your existing CPU and allow you to upgrade the CPU painlessly in future. My KT3 Ultra will take CPU's up to and including the XP2600 Thoroughbred. Newer motherboards will allow you to go much further than that too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

abit kd7 + ddr 3200 thats what im tellin ya to get ull notise the difference

Actually when I was shopping about for my new System I came across an interesting Benchmark test(bah can't find it will look more tomorow)

The basic Jist was that Unless you have a CPU which has a FSB of 333 ie 2500 Above you aren't going to see the full performance out of the Ram.

on the tests they noticed little or no difference between pc 2100 and 3200 due to Bandwidth issues.

Now, im not techie so don't swear by this, I only read it and im passing on the info which I read :)

But what I do remember was that the tests were run no an xp1800, they also mentioned that the ram will not really get a proper test run i.e 3200/3500 until the likes of the Barton Core are readily Available.

Thats why I went with an xp2600 :D

Tell me I have a 256 stick of Corsair XMS 3200 PC 2700, will I see "issues" if I jack another stick of 3200/3500 with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Samba's right there you will see no difference using PC2100 or 3200 on a 133fsb . You only need 3200 ram if you overclocking to a 200fsb .For a 166FSB you only need 2700 ram. 3200 ram will only be needed if the Barton goes to a 200fsb .If you are overclocking tho i would get 3200 as it is only €113 for 512MB's

• Advertisement
Advertisement