Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA vs RAC

Options
  • 21-02-2003 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about joining one of the above for a while now -mainly for a bit of peace of mind, especially as the car is 8yrs old (though well serviced) things are likely to go wromg at random.

Any opinions or experiences to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Canasta

I've been wondering which is the best to join too. I have no worries about my 15 year-old Honda Civic, but my wife has an Audi - I worry about all the electrics/electronics suddenly letting her down. Any advice on which is the best organization to join would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's a few opinions from the last time :)

I joined the AA about 5 years ago. Price has gone up quite steeply since, but I've found their service excellent. I won't be cancelling my membership anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Both are as bad as each other in fairness. AA covers the person in any car. RAC only covers the car with any driver. Apart from that they are very similar.
    Both are let down by the quality of the sub contractors they use outside the cities. Its in their vested interest not to fix you at the roadside and to drag you to their overpriced garage. beware if you breakdown in the sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

borzoi, what insurance company are you with , if its hibernain they offer this service for free and actually many other insurance companies do the same so do call them before you opt to go for a membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

HiB seem to prove a pretty comprehensive service: http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/motor_ins.asp

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    hibernain they offer this service for free

I very much doubt that Hibernian's Breakdown assistance offers a service to the same standard as the AA
    Hibernian wrote:
    We will send a competent repairer to you. If they can repair your car immediately, we will provide up to one hour's free labour

How vague is that? What competent repairer are they talking about?

i think hibernian are a great insurance company, i am with them 3 yrs and i think i will be with them for life as they have great features in there poilcy eg drive any other car 3rd party(i need that to drive my dads beast):D

also i did use there breakdown service 3 times before for the same problem and they were fine also one day i left the keys in my car while running(how daft) and i rang a yellowpages guy and he said something like 250-300 to open the door and hinernian came out and opened it professionally for free and ofcourse the guys that come out are really friendly..

i can go on and on and on for ages........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Pigsback are doing a special on AA membership at the moment...save €20 when you join online etc and piggy points.

http://www.pigsback.ie/offers/270580471/default.asp

Just got my renewal from the AA and its gone up by €14 overall on direct debit plan to approx €19 p/m for the full package so not the worst.

Thankfully I personally havent had to use the AA's services over the last year myself but did get them out to tow the brother in laws car when it broke down (he was covered by my membership as I was a passenger - and saved a good few quid on towing charges!)

Also very good deals to be had as an AA member for insurance...so I'm liking the AA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Hibernian are a great insurance company and the AA cover is basic but will get you out of trouble, there is just no home start. Also the free windscreen replacement has been very handy. The are just a part of the Norwich union and offer the same service as the sister company in the UK.
    I am covered by both as the AA is through the insurance and the car came with RAC through Nissan. Not sure which I would phone if I needed help. Maybe both ans see who gets there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    I very much doubt that Hibernian's Breakdown assistance offers a service to the same standard as the AA

I wouldnt think so, but when they turn out to be the cheapest insurer too I guess it is an added bonus. At the end of the day all you want is your car to be taken to a garage, or your door opened.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I wouldnt think so, but when they turn out to be the cheapest insurer too I guess it is an added bonus

Can't argue with that - in that case the break down service is free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi

For me RAC, they dont have the wide coverage as AA probably have but I have my car and my girlfriends car covered with a group company scheme and boy did i need it.

My clutch blew on Sunday in kilcock, and my gf's car was actually sold to us as a crashed car and hence is off the road too. In both instances RAC have arranged to get them both picked up and brought to the respective garages. I also got a free rental too. Overall the service has been great and would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

drdre wrote:
    borzoi, what insurance company are you with , if its hibernain they offer this service for free and actually many other insurance companies .

As things turned out, I went with neither, basicly I did nonething about it. So here we all are, three years further down the road, and the car has never given me any trouble, so I guess I'm up a few hundred euro :D , which would probably cover the cost of towing the car somewhere!

As I'm expecting a new company car soon, I don't think I'll be in any rush to join either soon

If the company is any good a company car is supplied with breakdown cover, services, insurance etc ect. Otherwise there is no point paying all that extra cash to the tax man for it?

Wow just niticed that post was dug up from the relms. Were we not all using horse and cart back then?

Jaysis, why did somebody bother to register on boards.ie and then as their first ever post drag up and reply to a 3+ year old post? :confused:

@Borzoi: you did well so by not joining :)

What company car are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

"I were gonna join AA as well, except I thought I'd get these pair of cool jeans instead. I thought they were proper bo" :D

wow i didnot even notice the starting date:D

unkel wrote:
    What company car are you getting?

Nothing terribly exciting, but hopefully the new Passat 2l 140BHP Diesel, comfortline. Unfortunately the VW dealers are quoting a lead time of 10-12weeks :(

Don't mind the BIK - cause tax, insurance, diesel, servicing, depreciation are all on the company

@Wolverine::D :D I'd forgotton that AA ad campaign

Borzoi wrote:
    Nothing terribly exciting, but hopefully the new Passat 2l 140BHP Diesel, comfortline

DSG? :cool:
    Borzoi wrote:
    Don't mind the BIK - cause tax, insurance, diesel, servicing, depreciation are all on the company

A small price for total piece of mind indeed

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    DSG? :cool:
    What, the auto barge? ;)
    unkel wrote:
    A small price for total piece of mind indeed
    you betcha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

drdre wrote:
    wow i didnot even notice the starting date:D

Same here....:D

Memo to self to check things like that before replying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I've been with the AA since I started driving, and I've found them fantastic. Flat batteries, locking keys in car - all sorted quickly. Blew a clutch 8 years ago in Cork, and they towed the car back to Galway. Blew the clutch last year in Allentown, Co. Kildare, and they towed it to Dublin to the garage I had just bought the car from. Ignition went the following week, and they towed my to my garage.
    All in all, great piece of mind. Never used the RAC or Ireland Assist, so I don't know anything about their service (I think Ireland Assist does a lot of the insurance company cover). Got insurance renewal quotes today, and a lot of them had breakdown built in.

Advertisement