Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Problem

• 21-02-2003 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I'm taking a look at a PC for a friend. It's a Gateway 1Gig Athlon on a MSI 6330 ver2.1 KT7 Mobo.
    When powered on it initialises, fans and HD spin up but thats it. Video doesn't initialise and no beeps whatsoever. Everything is seated correctly. I have also tried it with just vid card and processor attached. Tested vid card in another machine and its fine.
    My theory at this stage is - Failed/botched bios update.

Anyone know if this is recoverable or any other suggestions as to what might be wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Have you tested the cpu in another machine? From what your telling us I assume this happened after a bios upgrade? If so, what went wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I'm guessing at the failed bois update as I have no info on what happened the PC before I got it.

I haven't got another Socket A PC to test processor but I assume it would beep a bad cpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

she sounds fuxored .

take the processor out and reseat it . i had the same problom and after 2 days it turned out to be a slightly out of place processor and the computer was running fine b4 .

just try the processor/hsf graphics card / mobo in the computer no fdd or hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yep bios is corrupt. It's an AMI Bios. Am I right in saying the only way to rectify this is pull a bios chip from an identical PC and use it to boot and then hot swap back to the original chip ?

Gah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

You might be able to Reflash the BIOS from a floppy. Although from what you're saying it's probably bunched, Try and see if you can buy a new chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Or you could pay to have the chip reprogrammed. A quick search came up with these guys bios-upgrade, but there may be cheaper alternatives. Also, this presumes that your BIOS is removable....

Zab.

Advertisement