Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering Parts: What is it I do?

• 21-02-2003 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Finally ordering a new machine, just need some advice :)

Does it really matter if I get a flat screen or one of those big monitors ? Like the price difference worth it ? Any advanatages or disadvanatges ?

I'm gonna order some DDR ram. Does it matter if I get 256x2 or 512x1 ?

Any recomendations on mother boards ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i would stick with a crt they are better quality wise considering the price .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i would recomend you getting one stick of 512mb its cheaper and you will save slots on ur motherboard,there is not real advantage in getting 2X256. And i would also agree with elexes ur better off going with a CRT as its cheaper wait 1 or 2 years and you will pick up a flatpanel at less than half the price with higher specs.Hope that helps you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by damnyanks

Any recomendations on mother boards ?

What price range are you looking at?
    Have you decided on AMD/Intel yet?

Some motherboards will do better with 2 X 256, with others you will see no differnce, so you're better off going with 1 X 512

Unless space is a problem, get a CRT with a flat screen (eg a sony trinitron based model).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 duffman_ie

I've used both the ABIT KG7 and the MSI KTB Ultra 2 motherboards, and have found them both fantastic. Thats presuming your gonna go down the AMD route obviously, the Athlon XPs are fantastic and given AMDs recent price slashing I wouldnt see any reson to go Pentium 4. For a price comparison a Pentium 4 2Ghz is €213 and a Athlon XP 2000+ is €95!

Advertisement