Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ASP just like PHP ?

Options
  • 21-02-2003 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

i was looking at some php code and it looks like asp and php can do the same things. which one is better, in college we used asp and MS access for database driven websites . . .

php looks a bit like C too ?

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Short Answer: NO!

Long Answer: Asp is a framework which allow multiple different scripting languages to be used to generate webpages, including PHP. Although it's a bit fiddle to set up IIS to use PHP it can be done.

Asp coding usually is done in vbscript or jscript, but other languages that can be used include perl, php (my personal favourite), python and others.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by mada999
    i was looking at some php code and it looks like asp and php can do the same things. which one is better, in college we used asp and MS access for database driven websites . . .

php looks a bit like C too ?

?

That might come in handy.

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci213801,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

As other people said ASP is actually nothing like PHP.

It's a common mistake, and I presume you mean to ask, is writing VBscripts using ASP like PHP.

The answer is yes, VBScript & PHP can both be used to program serverside. Other things similar are Cold Fusuion, Servlets/JSP & Perl. Though each varies in it's implementation, they have common uses.

Regarding which is better you'd be hard pushed to get a concensus on it.

They're differen programming/scripting languages and so have different strengths & weaknesses.

I hope that helps a little bit.

E&OE.

- Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

cheers guys thanx for the replies !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Not a problem at all.

Best Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

ASP is muck. Friggin mess of a framework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    ASP is muck. Friggin mess of a framework.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    That might come in handy.

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci213801,00.html

Thats a great link. At the bottom of this page http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid13_gci213846,00.html its describes ASP quite well. "An alternative to a CGI application is Microsoft's Active Server Page (ASP), in which a script embedded in a Web page is executed at the server before the page is sent."

Someone more knowledgeable than myself should point out the difference of the host server here. While ASP is mainly served by a MS server running IIs I think you can also run it on a Linux box via apache? Though its a lot less featured. But I'm a bit sketchy on the details.

One point to make that if you script your pages using ASP your hosting costs, because you need IIs on a MS Server are generally higher than other technologies. Or is this a sweeping generalisation? : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    While ASP is mainly served by a MS server running IIs I think you can also run it on a Linux box via apache? Though its a lot less featured. But I'm a bit sketchy on the details.
    Active Server Pages are a Microsoft technology and as such an IIS implementation of server-side scripting. ASP has been ported to Apache on *nix, most notably using Chillisoft, but while I’ve not used it myself, I’ve heard that it can be unstable.

I’ve generally viewed the use of ASP as a ‘Give onto Caesar’ situation; if your application sits on IIS, then use it, if not don’t.
    One point to make that if you script your pages using ASP your hosting costs, because you need IIs on a MS Server are generally higher than other technologies. Or is this a sweeping generalisation? : )
    Yes and no. Many Java application servers have far higher price tags than anything by MS, and when considering price, one should also consider other costs, such as maintenance (where open source is traditionally more expensive than MS, due to the difference in labour costs involved).

Advertisement