Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Championship

• 21-02-2003 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

What does everyone think would be the way forward for the Championship cause the whole qualifier thing sucks!!! The evening games are a success to and why dont the GAA take a million euro and develop 5 stadiums across Ireland where these evening games can be played? Its not as if it leaves a hole in the GAA's pocket when they lifted well over a million at the All-Ireland Final alone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

ah, barton. i have no opinin on the matter though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

Aha Barton nice to see that youve joined our community!
    Darren go and spam somewhere else...lol

Go on Barton tell everyone who your dad is....go on...you know u want 2...ok then i will...im_not_french's dad is Damien Barton!!!!!!

p.s. Derry will need the qualifiers this year as Tyrone will kick Derry's ass in da 1st round!

Shane are you sure that you didnt mean to say the below comment instead of this.......
    What does everyone think would be the way forward for the Championship cause the whole qualifier thing sucks!!! The evening games are a success to and why dont the GAA take a million euro and develop 5 stadiums across Ireland where these evening games can be played? Its not as if it leaves a hole in the GAA's pocket when they lifted well over a million at the All-Ireland Final alone!

Ce qui fait chacun pensez serait la manière en avant pour la cause de championnat que la chose entière de qualificateur suce!!! Les jeux de soirée sont un succès à et pourquoi pas la prise de GAA million euro et développer 5 stades à travers l'Irlande où ces jeux de soirée peuvent être joués? Son pas comme si elle laisse un trou dans la poche du GAA quand ils se sont bien soulevés au-dessus de million au seul final de l'Tout-Irlande!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

lets try sand keep french to one thread....

Seriously though I think the C'ship is just fine. But evening games would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Back door is crap!! I hate it, get rid of it!
    Now, evening floodlit games, there's an idea!
    This is the best thread we've had for a while, better than any of ironbrews anyway!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by ironbrew
    Derry will need the qualifiers this year as Tyrone will kick Derry's ass in da 1st round!
    Pity it wont make much difference. Cavan is going to knock you out in the semi-final. Thats just the way...

Pity it wont make much difference. Cavan is going to knock you out in the semi-final. Thats just the way...

suuurree its the way...ah time will tell my friend, time will tell!
    This is the best thread we've had for a while, better than any of ironbrews anyway!!!

Why whats wrong wif any of my threads???!?!??!
    ...do i detect a hint of jealousy that my thread about club websites has 5 stars and yours has only 3 stars!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

[controversial comment] without the back door, Tyrone would be in a pickle [/controversial comment]

Are you trying to say that you(plural) are gonna beat us in the first round of the championship!?!?!??!

Im shocked and thought you had more intelligence than that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭poeticallydead

la vie est belle,

yes i agree with all those comments.....

actually i do agree they should have more stadiums, very good arguments

• Advertisement

poeticallydead...you seem to be following me around!!

lmao @ your posts per day!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We have 32 teams.

Seed the best 8 on current performance.

Pick 8 groups of 4 out of a hat.

Top 2 from each group go into the last 16 and so forth.

Only fair way to do it imo.

There are 34 Teams actually.

Current form in GAA cournts for feck all as teams perform compleatly different in the leauge than the cup. doing this seeding thing might actually help..

But I like the C'ship the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think the Championship is set up brilliantly now. It is not every day I try to give some credit to the GAA but they actually did something right here. Traditionally weaker counties are beginning to put some good performances in now, like Sligo and westmeath in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There are 34 Teams actually

Kilkenny don't play in the Senior C'ship, so that leaves 33. Anyway if there was to be a league based c'ship i'm sure New York would not be involved and maybe not London either.

Why not ? The all ireland is the All Ireland.

There are 34 teams- any county that doesn not contest does so on a year to year basis. so you have to plan for all 34 tems.

Can you see a New York team travelling over 3/4 times during the season???

hence its a bad idea?

And the football c'ship is fine the way it is ?

but yes, yes I could see newyork traveling that many times.

hence its a bad idea?

I didn't say that, just think it's unrealistic cos of problems with illegal players, finance etc.
    And the football c'ship is fine the way it is ?

God no, it needs a radical overhaul. For a start why not have two divisions of 16 teams and have two seperate c'ships, with promotion and relegation each year.
    Each division could be split a number of diff ways to give each team a a minmum of 5/6 games theroughout the summer before the knockout stages were reached. Granted i haven't given this a great deal of thought but the GAA have got to realise the enormous potential that the games have and no matter what they, or team managers say, the NFL is not regarded seriously in it's own right by the vast majority of fans who want to go big games, in modern stadia and in fine weather (OK so we can't blame the GAA for our summers) that mean something.

At least that way the lesser teams have something to aim for.

lesser teams do have something to aim for right now.

Winning the SAM ! aiming for anything less is not in the spirit of the chamionship....jesus this is the Sam mcGuire...Its what all footballers from the age of 10 when they go to bed with their football kit on so they can be ready for the game in the morning aim for. Its what they dream of......

making the Sam into any kind of legue will subtract from its magic
    The All Ireland is special for a number of reasons one of the main reasons is because its a Knock out compitition.

Yes I knwo there is a back door but they cant win provincial titles .. which are of huge importance

The All Ireland is fine the way it is.. if lesser counties want to do better I personally belive they must start at school level and really develop their base of palyers. its worked for Cavan, offaly, Tipperary (kinda) and sligo.

• Advertisement

Also "lesser counties" ( by the way Armagh was probably one of these not so long ago ) can use the league as a springboard towards championship success. While the bigger counties would not play their starting 15 in the league they would still have reasonably strong trams out. If the lesser counties can compete with these teams they are taking the first step.

Amatuer players with full time jobs simply cannot dedicate the time and training commitment that would be required to have a competitive league. If this was introduced instead of the All Ireland then I think the quality of the football played would nose dive. Players are just about managing things when they only have a match every three weeks or so. In the qualifiers you notice that the team who has played the previopus weekend starts off at a distinct disadvavtage because they have not had enough time to recover. A competitive league structureis just not viable to the GAA. And the Clubs would NEVER back it even if it was suggested.

Aw F*ck i love you Alany..he is 100% right.

Hail Alany
    Hail Alany

...dont listen to any other crap because at the end of the day...its night! (well really at the end of the day every player is aiming for sam and if the c'ship was to be divided, the "lesser" counties would have their dreams f*cked down the toilet!)

Brew, your scaring me.

but indeed all Hail .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Im_not_french

Winning the SAM ! aiming for anything less is not in the spirit of the chamionship....jesus this is the Sam mcGuire...Its what all footballers from the age of 10 when they go to bed with their football kit on so they can be ready for the game in the morning aim for. Its what they dream of......

making the Sam into any kind of legue will subtract from its magic
    The All Ireland is special for a number of reasons one of the main reasons is because its a Knock out compitition.

Yes I knwo there is a back door but they cant win provincial titles .. which are of huge importance

Alanys right about the whole provincial championships meaning something and i agree about the whole thing about Sam but with the whole back door thing teams like Tyrone will go out to play Derry this year thinkin who cares of we get beat we still have the back door system and hence takes away everything from winning the provincial championship and if Tyrone where to somehow go through the backdoor and wthe All-Ireland it won't mean as much cause they have had to be given a second chance to become the 'best team in Ireland'. But the only way i can think of the thing being run is if you change the championship back to the way it used to be with the knockout stages ansd run it out just like the FA Cup and put more emphasis on the league to maybe stretch it out to the beginnign of the championship or run both at the same time?????

MY only responce to that is There is not a county team in Ireland that dont want to win every game in the all ireland... the back door is not for stronger counties to "take it easy" its for weaker counties to have another "day out"

The backdoor system favous the Derrys and the sligos of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

yup..damn straight alany!

it's not like the kerrys and meaths of this fair island run onto the pitch hoping to be beaten, just so they can meet a leitrim or clare in an extra game in the qualifiers..they want to win of course and get to their respective provincial finals. however,if they do get beaten, they have a second chance..as do teams like waterford (who have the opportunity of getting their asses kicked twice in the championship instead of the usual once)

who have the opportunity of getting their asses kicked twice in the championship instead of the usual once

People would have said the same about Westmeath a couple of seasons ago, till they only lost by a couple of point s in a match mthey brought to a replay. And Sligo beating Kildare etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

yeah...thing is there's a big difference between westmeath and waterford..remember we've propped up division 2b for the last 4 or 5 years. last year's 1 point ended a 3 yr losing streak (or something like that). it's like comparing sunderland and spurs.

Fair point, but then Waterford are the current Munster Champions in Hurling, albeit for the first time in years. Buit I would guess that there are few clubs in Waterford that play Senior Football, and that the vast majority of the counties resources go into hurling. As I say I do not know this for sure but it is a fairly safe bet, and if this is the case they cannot really expect to do any way well in the football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Originally posted by ironbrew
    suuurree its the way...ah time will tell my friend, time will tell!

Why whats wrong wif any of my threads???!?!??!
    ...do i detect a hint of jealousy that my thread about club websites has 5 stars and yours has only 3 stars!?!?
    My all ireland thread had 5 stars, but SOMEONE put it down to 3! I wonder who? :mad:

Advertisement