Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pci latency timer

Options
  • 22-02-2003 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

what should this be set to by default its 32 but on a overclocked system what should i set it to ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lalaland

Unless you've had crashes that are linked to the PCI cards in your system it's fine the way it is. If you are however turn it up but don't turn it off it's needed for PCI 2.1 and Audigy cards for one hate having it turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I set it to 64 on my machine. It makes very little difference. As lalaland says it will affect stuff like sblive/audigy, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

k thx ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

64 gives me best all round performance, some people notice varying results on different systems. 32/64/96/128 is what most people use. In some systems (mainly via chipsets - a higher value can have a huge impact on your hd performance) I remember george breese released a patch to up the hd performance by adjusting the latency timer. This has also helped people with some crackling issues on the sblive cards/via chipset issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Speaking of PCI stuff, my 56k PCI modem is starting to disconnect me from the net and when I try to reconnect it just wont dial.

In fairness the Modem is 5 years old, probably time to get a new one.

Its a diamond supraexpress 56k IV Pro

And, I occassionaly have some slight crackling noise from the speakers, and its a VIA KT400 Chipset.

The Latency Timer is Currently Set at 32.

• Advertisement
Advertisement