Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lack of scumbags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

The trick is to say "sorry" while doing the Jedi mind trick motion with your hand before they finish asking. That tends to deflect about 80% immediately.

Of course you'll always get someone persistent. That's usually when I drop the "not working at the moment" line.

Last Saturday this homeless guy start giving me an ear-full (I was sitting outside a pub so couldn't escape) about being dragged in by the gardai and having all his money taken - and they wouldn't give him a receipt ;( Strange thing was that he didn't ask for any money.

Then within 5 minutes another guy appears - reasonably well dressed and doing the friendly approach to my immediate suspicion. Eventually he asked for 1 Euro (street theatre?) and I refused (politely). Then he turns on the persistence engine and I just dropped the "not working" line and he was gone in 20 seconds.

But never be intimidated into giving someone money. Its just another tactic.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by dazberry

Of course you'll always get someone persistent. That's usually when I drop the "not working at the moment" line.

Thats a good one i'll try that.
    If they catch you at the bus stop say 'Sorry bud i only hav a bus ticket' By say 'bud' yur getting down to their level so they'll kind of understand u better. I've been asked so many times at the bus stop now saying bud has now entered into my vocabulary:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    Ladies and gentlemen that has been syd vicious.

lol :p

still think that comment woulda been even wittier with the afro avatar though :D (dunnno avatars do that sorta thing imo!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Just start screaming at them. It works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So I saw the "deaf" guy today. I watched as he forcably pushed into people's lives to take money off them with very little thanks I might add. When he came up to me his sign said "€5 I'm deaf" or something like that. But 5 euro almost floored me, we should pull him up to the Euro price hikes commission! That's almost a 100% rise.

I followed him for a little and once he got some money off another person he went into the bookmaker. I've never been inside a bookmakers so I went in. He placed a bet, hung around, lost the bet, threw his chit on the floor and went back outside pushing into peoples lives to sap some money from their kindness. I decided to go up to him. He realised I had been watching him when I said "lost the bet huh?". He smiled and pointed at the anti war rally and mouthed something to get me off the scent. I asked him if he really was deaf and he mouthed "I'm deaf". I didn't accomplish anything but I certainly won't feel bad about not giving him money next time.

In fact, being deaf was the only reason he ever gave to anyone. Shame that he is deaf if that is true (as I do think he is mostly deaf. The way he mouths is very much the way a deaf person mouths. He could be partially deaf maybe.) shame that he is deaf but no real reason to give anyone money.

Don't be surprised if you see a guy on the street asking for €10 because he is "of average height". I have a cunning plan that could make me some money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

:D

we should get a photo of him ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I'll try and get him with de old digital camera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

I always cut them off mid-sentence and say, "Sorry, I've nothing on me". The majority walk straight off and call me something (not directly to me face), such as freak, ****, ****head etc. Nice tactic for sympathy ;)

Oh and I mean that last comment, there's one guy who comes up to me at bus stops and is really polite. He's a full 100% 20 something scumbag though. When I say no he thanks me anyway and walks off. Really makes me want to give him money the next time, even though I know that's his intention.

I wouldn't actually mind giving some of the bus-stop beggers some money it's just the whole having to root around in your wallet with them there gawking and people around u probably gawking aswel- it all combines to give u a dose of the jitters. And if the guy sees some nice orange paper in the wallet he might just decide to rob you you never know. And what if he comes back tommorow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DJ MJG

The lesson here: Always carry a bus ticket. Or failing that. stab them in the face. repeatedly. WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I was just about to comment on how they've just ditched the trackies for the tight jeans and umbro tops but Caesar_Bojangle
    beat me to it. Also if you're a girl you have to have those huge goldy hoop earrings. tres skanger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by commuterised
    Also if you're a girl you have to have those huge goldy hoop earrings. tres skanger!

To use some late 80s/early 90s terminology (screg - never had to write it so dunno how it should be spelt) it was always a fear to meet a fem skanger (aka bird) that was out of uniform and was drop dead gorgeous -> until words were spoken. Such a scenerio I termed as scregalicious ;)

D.
    --
    WaUBleedinLookinAt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Dave McSavage (a comedian in temple bar square) does great impressions of skangers if any of ye miss them that much.

Has nobody noticed that they've just all moved to the boardwalk instead.:p

Anyone see that bum who sits between two ATMs in the middle part of Temple Bar? that is low, even for a bum. It's also dumb. The smallest amount of money u can get out of those things is a twenty and who in their right mind is going to give that to a ****ing bum?

Wish there was just one street they'd beg on so we could avoid it and them together

Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    Anyone see that bum who sits between two ATMs in the middle part of Temple Bar? that is low, even for a bum. It's also dumb. The smallest amount of money u can get out of those things is a twenty and who in their right mind is going to give that to a ****ing bum?
    Actually I'd say he does pretty well between ATM's. The principle that he is feeding off is shame and embarrasment. How could you feel good about taking 20 or 50 euro when someone is lying half dead from starvation. I've seen loads of beggars get money from ATM's. I never give them money though, I once gave a guy fruit and he gave it back to me saying "ah no bood, I've got a stomach ulcer, can't eat that." Riiiighht...

Hey Gaffo - is that the guy with the red spangly guitar that attracts masses of people and jokes while singing songs? He should be on stage, he cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

And another thing about the guy between the ATM's is you can't really walk away if you're queuing. So you can either stand there and ignore the f*cker and look like a mean bastard (my personal preference), or you can cave in and look all nice and kind.

Dave McSavage? He's the guy who smashed his guitar over a scumnags head a few weeks ago isn't he? Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If you get the DART anytime after 7pm i find a lot of scumbags around.... well really now its anytime. Damn them

/me shakes fist

Originally posted by PiE
    And another thing about the guy between the ATM's is you can't really walk away if you're queuing. So you can either stand there and ignore the f*cker and look like a mean bastard (my personal preference), or you can cave in and look all nice and kind.
    Yeah those thoughts occured to me when i saw him there so I stopped in my tracks and looked for another ATM. I'm spineless i know...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I've seen those bums beside the ATMs also. There seems to be a lot of them, or maybe one guy likes a change of scenery every few minutes.

Everytime I see a bum, I really have to hold back from shouting "Get a fcuking job, you lazy bastard". Never actually said it, I think I try and avoid trouble in general, be the bigger man ect.

They could find a job labouring on a site, or cleaning if they tried.

Yeah those thoughts occured to me when i saw him there so I stopped in my tracks and looked for another ATM. I'm spineless i know

Quite alot of them arn't homeless, there is alot of young girl's who do it (wearing Nike, underneath their blankets), it is a good way to earn good money, with very little effort. Its been going on in Dublin for years, we just seem to be more generous now or something ....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MDR
    Quite alot of them arn't homeless, there is alot of young girl's who do it (wearing Nike, underneath their blankets), it is a good way to earn good money, with very little effort. Its been going on in Dublin for years, we just seem to be more generous now or something ....
    Yeah, thats what really gets my goat and is a main reason I don't give money. What also annoys me is the mess these people leave also. How can you justify me giving you money for shelter when you leave your blanket in the street after you use it :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MDR
    we just seem to be more generous now or something ....
    really? I never see anyone give them money tbh

i'd hate to see this thread die tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Ah you're all prejudiced bastards, long live James Pice aka Blackie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Fecken kids in tracksuits lets be afraid of them and their tracksuits and tar them off with the same brush as junkies and handbag snatchers actually lets just burn the track suits make a dress code in the inner city.

But then what about all the gothic and general smelly people …. Will they abide by the dress code maybe not.

I really think fearing the 15 year olds in their tracksuits is a good idea why not stick with that! Please continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

it is actually offence to beg in Ireland under a little known act known as they Vagrancy Act of 1824, so if some one does cone up and intimadate you into giving money you should report a copper if there is one around normally there are a few around town , temple bar etc
    if u have time maybe go to the cop shop, because if enough people complain then they will enforce the law !!
    Because if you are by yourself these people can be quite intimadating. Also if you can try and have ur monet organised before u go to town so u do not have to take money out when there is some one at the ATM, I think people have the right to withdraw money without intimadation which is why I would urge people to report these things, a quick call on the phone 999 from a payphone is free, if the police get enough calls they will have to do something !!!! Power to the people !!

if u have time maybe go to the cop shop, because if enough people complain then they will enforce the law !!

Your disillusional,
    the law is un-enforceable,
    sure the will arrest the person if you pressure them,
    but as I have said before I know of some romian women,
    living in Clontarf (at the states expense), who have been
    arrested 28 times, the judge knows them by their first name,
    and there has been no penalty imposed on them to date ...
    their assylum application will be thrown out but in the
    interim, between now and when they get deported,
    whats the point in arresting them ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

But thats not an issue with the police , complaints were obviously made and they acted within their remit, you mentioned that one person was arrested 28 times, because they have no conviction as yet is a matter for the judicary,
    but at least that person has been removed 28 times and the police are aware that there is a problem in a certain area, thats the point they have been removed and when the police come they know that will be removed
    and brought to the station and generally hassled,

I know a lot of people especially females who find romanian women who are begging to be quite intimadating and threatening
    so I for one feel at least they are doing something in relation to this as much as they can, maybe we should lobby Mc Dowell in relation to a failure on behalf of Judges to protect people in our society

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I think the scangers have evolved...it took them a decade to realise that their white trackies and piss-stained trainers weren't attracting the "burds" so now they're saving up for their Ralph Laurens and Armanis'.

Ever strike that whatever bus you hop on there are always scangers upstairs at the back. Last night I was going into town got on the bus and there they were. I came very close to "startin on them". God I loathe them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

tbh there are some half decent skanger "burds", that you wouldnt mind "ridin" once, but certainly wouldnt take them home to greet your parents

Advertisement