Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Stars' that would put you off seeing a movie?

• 23-02-2003 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Which actors/actresses would put you off going to a movie just by their very presence in it?

For me Ben Affleck and Julia Roberts immediately come to mind, but what are you choices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Leo di caprio.
    *shudders*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Any type of pop singer
    Britney Spears - Crossroads
    Mariah Carey - Glitter
    etc
    nice to look at once their not acting at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Richard Gene... nearly put me of seeing mothman prop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Julia Roberts or Hugh Grant come to mind pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

madonna !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

D) all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Emilio Estevez and Steve Guttenberg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I know a lot of people who think this way.

One won't watch O Brother Where Art Thou? because he hates George Clooney.

I'd have said Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler myself, then I remembered Magnolia and Sandler's recent Punch Drunk Love. Just goes to show you can miss decent films...

That said, Hugh Grant's a no-no for me, so what the hell do I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ben Affleck - yes, leo DiCrapio - yes. Also I hate that guy from gladiators Rustling Crow because he's a tit in real life. I hope to god the singer from Oasis is in a film so that I can not go to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Kevin Bacon - he cant keep his clothes on
    Keanu Reeves - just atrocious!!!
    Jennifer Lopez - ugh
    Kenneth Brannagh - up his own arse

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jim Carrey. And I hate it when you go see a film with someone you hate in it, cause you've heard that "he doesn't do all his usual crap", and of course the film ultimately stinks.

Richard Gere likewise, Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock, Tom Hanks...

How can you hate George Clooney though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i despise colin farrell, tom cruise and haley joel osment but that didnt stop me from from going to see minority report or AI.

a good film is a good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jennifer Lopez and Leonardo DiCaprio would be the main two offenders.

But other than that, basically any pop-star or, furthermore, a rapper. Ice Cube in Ghosts Of Mars anyone? ****ing hell... There are some people who shouldn't be let near film-roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Whoopie Goldberg. Don't you love the way she tries to make up for lack of personality by being really loud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd have to agree with the choice of boring drawling mop-topped muppet Hugh Grant but disagree with Leonardo diCaprio, as I found his performance in "Catch Me If You Can" surprisingly and refreshingly good. Difficult to admit it as it may be (I used to dislike him utterly) he is (slowly but surely) improving and maturing as an actor. I think he did a very good job of acting out the very well scripted part of Frank Abignale Jr. - keeping in mind that he had an excellent team of accomplished cast and the directing skills of Spielberg to work with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For me the following gimps make a movie a no go...

Jennifer Lopez
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Ben Affleck
    Sandra Bullock
    Hugh Grant
    Julia Roberts
    Steven Segal

Any pop stars in leading roles is also a no go in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Al Pachino - washed up cop
    Liam Neeson - concerned irish daddy / jedi:confused:
    Colin Farrell - the next al pachino apparently:rolleyes:

[wahey 500 posts :) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Hugh "Mop Head" Grant annoys the sh1t out of me in a way nobody else can. The very first time I saw him in Four Weddings and a Funeral he annoyed me. His stupid hair style annoys me, his stupid accent annoys me, his stupid grin annoys me
    :(
    /snaps out of trance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

steve martin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Winona "I was only pretending to steal" Ryder. I think Alien Resurrection did it for me...oh sweet jebus on a stick !
    I would never go see a Jackie Chan film. Also Chris Rock and Chris Tucker annoy me to the bone. Oh there's plenty more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Venom

Steven Segal

How dare you insult Blockhead himself!! You is cruisin' for a bruisin boy!! :)

As for myself, Hugh Grant drives me insane.

Also that insipid twat Andie McDowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Keno2

Colin Farrell the tool bag. What an annoying sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Kevin Bacon- Such an ugly bastard I cant concentrate on the film
    Freddie Prinz Jr = muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Eddie Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Leo di caprio, i cant take him serious

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Watch This Boy's Life and What's Eating Gilbert Grape then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Any singer turned actor. Theyre all rubbish.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Clint Eastwood ( but that's more personal taste ) he's a good actor I just don't like his movies ;)

The Rock ( or any other wrestler for that matter )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheFoot

The unwatchable Kirstie Alley. I never refer to her without that moniker.

I would have also said Adam Sandler, until I recently saw Punch Drunk Love, which was a fantastic film. He showed a (restrained, complex) side of himself we'd never seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I disagree with Leo DC even tho he is a nance, some of his earlier films were excellent ala Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life

Al Pacino career went downhill after Scarface IMO Why does the guy have to shout in every film. Hes like that ****head in your first band who always turns his instrument louder and drowns out everyone, sheesh

Goldie Hawn annoys the crap out of me

Christopher Lambert, what can I say, I hope he is the One and Only

Robin Williams but that's a no-brainer

as is Kevin Costner

P.S as above Freddie Prinze Jr. Every time I see him I feel this uncontrollable urge to punch the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,522 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kurt Russell - I avoid his films like the plague. Richard Gere - have only watched 4-5 of his films. Steve Martin, Chris Tucker, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey (exception The Truman Show) and Emilio Estevez can be a bit much to take in their comic roles. Christopher Lambert, Steven Segal and Kevin Bacon suffer in parts from the projects they are associated with, not necessarily them or their skills. Kenneth Brannagh is a Shakespearean actor and should maybe stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Bard
    I'd have to agree with the choice of boring drawling mop-topped muppet Hugh Grant but disagree with Leonardo diCaprio, as I found his performance in "Catch Me If You Can" surprisingly and refreshingly good. Difficult to admit it as it may be (I used to dislike him utterly) he is (slowly but surely) improving and maturing as an actor. I think he did a very good job of acting out the very well scripted part of Frank Abignale Jr. - keeping in mind that he had an excellent team of accomplished cast and the directing skills of Spielberg to work with...
    Ill totaly agree with this, Leo Di Caprio was superb in this film, as was Tom Hanks, brilliant film, recommended to everyone, even people who hate either acter, just to see if your opinions change of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Kaimera
    Leo di caprio.
    *shudders*

uh huh, and elijah wood, can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh yes!

The cast from friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Vin Diesel,After Pitch black which was a competent though not outstanding movie ,his movies have been Moronic "Star Platforms"

Fast and the Furious,more like the dull and the dubious.Moronic plot devices and terrible dialogue,apparently devised to prove that even when your dying upside down in an overturned sportscar,You can still look good.
    Sequal out soon Entitled, The Faster and the Furiouser

xXx the less said about this movie the better,seemed to consist entirely of Mr Diesel being chased through a series of explosions,though since i managed to sleep through most of it some of the ultra stylistic flourishes might have been lost on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    Fast and the Furious,more like the dull and the dubious

i love that film

my personal hates are

Jennifer Lopez
    Madonna
    Andie McDowell (sp?)
    Hugh Grant
    Britney Spears (that's just from seeing the ads for Crossroads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Ill totaly agree with this, Leo Di Caprio was superb in this film, as was Tom Hanks, brilliant film, recommended to everyone, even people who hate either acter, just to see if your opinions change of them.

He's an excellent actor is smaller roles. He's just bad at being in big epics. If you've seen him in "Whats eating Gilbert Grape" you'll know how fantastic he can be. Spielberg picked him on the strength of his performance in that film and rightfully so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hugh grant tbh
    rosie o donnel is pretty damn annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I don't really care about the actors, if a movie is done well then I will go and see it regardless of whether tom Hanks or Boyband member #4 is playing the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

hugh grant is here alot but he was pretty good in 'about a boy'

Personally it's sandra bullock. She just gets right up my nose the fiend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

liv tyler. there's something about that girl that just makes me want to punch her every time i see her face! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Originally posted by Mewzel
    liv tyler. there's something about that girl that just makes me want to punch her every time i see her face! :mad:

Dawh...but she so KYOOT

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dustin Hoffman

Tom Cruise

Friends cast

And not forgetting the ever non-popular Hugh Grant! Ugh Tosser! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

personally, I get cinema/telly rage when I see any of the following:
    • Leonardo di Caprio
    • Tom Hanks
    • Robin Williams
    • Mel Gibson
    • Jennifer Lopez
    • Britney Spears
    • Sandra Bullock
    • Julia Roberts
    • Bruce Willis
    • Colm "Token Irishman" Meaney

perhaps I need thereapy? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

yea i have that liv tyler thingy too
    id still let her poslish my bellend with those juju's tho

so now so there so

and kirsten dunst
    although she could sit on my face as... anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anything with Tom Cruise or Di Craprio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Julia Roberts, Ben Affleck, Nicholas Cage ( though i love Raising Arizona)
    Haley Joel Osment, Any one of the Baldwins, Rob Schnieder, That ohter guy in high school high, any film with any of the Friends cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ImpactPlayer

Russell Crowe - because he is such a tosspot in real life. And I can seriously say I would die happy if I never see a single Vin Diesel Movie, although I dont think he qualifies as an actor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Can pretty much understand why people have chosen who they have chosen, but whats the problem with colin farrel, thought he was ok in that harts war thing although it was a fairly crap flick.

Id have to go with adam sandler for this though, i can put up with a lot of crap. hugh grant trying to look like a he could get any woman he wants {for a price :-D } but at least he is passed the whole stuttering his way thru movies. he must have gone to the same guy as gareth gates.
    But if i hear Adam sandlers baby talk in another film i think ill go mental, that film where he adopts the kid......oh god.

• Advertisement
Advertisement