Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture Quality and screen?

Options
  • 23-02-2003 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is related to other thread but wanted some fresh opinions along with those of you who have guided me so far.

Proposed system:
    Panasonic AE-100 Projector
    Pioneer 656A DVD Player
    Macantz 7200 Receiver
    Mission M70 Speaker system

Basically Will i be losing out on a lot If I buy the Pioneer 656a DVD player without the pal prog scan compared to a prog scan player.

What kind of screen should I get and where, how about painting a wall ice-storm 5 will that be good enough or how about painting mdf and nailing that to the wall???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

A proper screen will give you a better image, I assume.

A good DIY job, I assume, will give you an image nearly as good, save you a few quid, and the pleasure or pain of knowing you built it your self....

I assume because I dont know... :)

You can buy the material that screens are made from here http://www.dazian.com/index.html, could be a half way house between, diy - blackout material/grey paint and the real thing.

Another consideration regarding going the DIY route is can you give over a wall permanently to a screen, if not, a proper pull down is probably your only option.

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

A proper screen does give a better image. Komplett sell the projecta screens, which are good.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?AvdID=1&CatID=29&GrpID=2&t=1047&l=2

If you've got lots of PAL DVDs then you should get a PAL progressive scan DVD player, otherwise I'd just get the NTSC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Good to see you doing your homework ;)

As a former AE100 owner (had 2! - since upgraded to a lovely Sony HS10), here's my 2p.

Screenwise, don't go above a 7" screen (92" diagonal). The pixel structure/screendoor becomes all to apparent beyond this.

Good rule of thumb - 1.75/2 times screen width to viewing distance for the AE100.

I'd not recommend a grey screen (homemade). I know loads rave about improved blacks etc.., but having seen a few AE100s on Icestorm 5/6, I was far from impressed.

A matte white 1.0 gain screen would be my choice.

Also, the viewing height is important. Far too many people have the PJ & screen ceiling mounted, with the screen too high. Not ideal looking "up" at a picture.

Rule of thumb (if possible):

Eye level one third up from bottom of visible screen.

Re: DVD player choice.

Are you reasonably PC literate?? If so, the VERY best PQ from the AE100 is achieved by feeding it it's native resolution (856x480) via VGA (PC monitor connection) from a PC.

Not too difficult to achieve - loads of info on this at avforums.com.

Added benefits: Pal & NTSC progressive scan, multi region playback (hardware/software), DD 5.1/DTS pass through to your receiver, large screen gaming (UT2K3 on a 92" screen :eek: ), + web surfing etc...

Any PC will do this, so you could experiment etc, before buying a dedicated DVD player. A dedicated PC for HC use should cost approx €500 - less if you've got some bits'n'pieces lying around already.

That's my 2p!

Audio I'll leave to others - it's gone 4am!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok well I've been onto Richersounds this morning trying to get a quote for my above system.

I e-mailed them last week and they said they could get the Pansonic projector in for me at €2400!!!!!!!!!!

So when I rang them today I told them to forget about the projector and quote me for the rest, he asked why and I said their quote was off the wall high. He questioned me about where I could get it cheaper and I told him it was availble on Komplett.ie for €1600 he phoned me back 20 minutes later and said he'd give me the projector for €1595. I'm still waiting for him to call back with the full quote.

Pity any fool that walks in and pays mad money for that projector.

I'l update later with quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't believe a word that Kramer chap says! He doesn't know what he is talking about! :D:D He's one a dem fella's.Ya know from Limerick like!:D :D What happened to David Letterman??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Dave is dead :D He's only on ITV 2 now - can't get that 'ere.

Kramer's in da house!

Hi Keith.

Username Kramer wasn't taken, so a very kind Mod/admin changed it for me. Soon I'll take over de world :D

You must be eligable for the Guinness book of records - longest running AE100 in de world!

Miss all d smilies from avf :(

Cya.........................

Advertisement