Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching

• 23-02-2003 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Evening all,
    have decided that I hate my job and I want to become a teacher, I'm not really that bothered about the money, kinda like kids (in a nice way not a Michael Jackson way) and think it would be nice to have a job with a purpose for once.

I have a science degree and have been working in a pharmaceutical firm for 6 months.

Does anyone know how I would get some work as a substitute teacher or are there any organisations that deal with this type of thing. Basically how could I get started (do I need a HDip etc.)

Also has anyone done any teaching before, I'm very easy going (bit dopey really) and don't know how I'd handle a bunch of little monsters who would be doing all the **** that I did when I was in school.

Cheers ears for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Both of my parents were teachers and first off I commend your attitude to the profession. It's more than just a career it's a vocation imho just a shame many others don't feel that way.

Give it some serious thought though it's not as easy a life as may appear from the outside.

Regarding your last comment bear in mind that the first few years can be tough with mostly temp work and *very* little choice of school to teach in (ie you could find yourself in a 'rough' spot to say the least and I think you'll find that kids these days are less and less behaved to put it mildly).

But don't let me put you off :D More commited teachers are what we need so best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i did a bit of part-time teaching,

i must say, it's a great experiance, one things for sure, try not to walk into a class room and act like you want to be best-buds with the class.
    ease yourself in, you should try and come accross as only being there to teach, then you can maybe be yourself after making sure they know that your the athority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you considered lecturing? It seems to be easier to get into (no H-Dip, just a degree for the Institute of Technologies). I did it for two years part-time and it was a brilliant experience, no stress, a bit of crack and you get to teach what you learned in your degree. There's no real training, you are thronwn in at the deep end (I was!).

Keep an eye out in the papers - it's from now on colleges start recruiting for next September.

Advertisement