Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ti500 won't work - scan out of range

• 23-02-2003 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I've just installed me new Gainward Ti500 (upgrading from Ti200). When I tried to boot up the PC I got an error saying "scan out of range - change settings on PC".

Anyone got any idea's ? The monitor shows nothing - not even DOS ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

start in safe mode install the new driver then restart and it should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

start in safe mode install the new driver then restart and it should work

Cant even start in safe mode.... The monitor does not display anything.... just comes up with the error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

hmm.....this is a smallish monitor ye?

ive encountered this b4.......basically the refresh rate or resolution is set too high fir the monitor.... if u can get hold of a bigger monitor, it will work fine, then just lower the settins down

if u cant get a bigger monitor dont no what the next step is, but at least u now what the prob is now.

i nearly fubard my bosses puter with this error one day, nearly shat meself, its easily fixed tho.

try putting in your old card, lowering the res then stick in the new card or there could be a reset butten on the monitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep basically you've a ****e monitor... try irishguys second suggestion.
    once you've installed the new card again, set the resolution & refresh rate to 800x600@60Hz, and work your way up... or find the monitors manual for its max settings...

Then again it could very well be a botched graphics card, although I havent heard of that happening before.. basically if it doesn't work at the above resolution & rate theres something seriously wrong (assuming your old card does).

• Advertisement

The monitor is a Dell P991 19" triniton with max resolution of 1600 * 1200 as seen here. I also tried another monitor (****e 15") which come up with a mass of colours so this didn't work either.

I wonder could the card be faulty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Sounds like it is, could try it in a friends pc just to double check, or send it back and let the people you bought it from check :)

i have got the same moniter with a geforce 4 4200ti 128mb. its a class moniter and could cope with anything that card could throw at it, so i think its the card but thats strange because i have never seen that happen [with a card ] before just return it that might fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Assuming your monitor works fine on other machines you need a new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It sounds very like a problem in the tech help page of a PC game mag I bought last week. Their explanation was that the GFX card is trying to output the video signal at a resolution or refresh rate not supported by the monitor. The mag's suggestion, as the ones above was to start the PC with a monitor that works and lower the resolution and/or refresh rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You'll find very few monitors that are unable to handle any current graphics card during POST and before entering the O/S.

During POST and before entering the O/S the graphics card is essentially running in 'safe mode' which is compatible with all VGA screens.

So unfortunately that won't help.

New card :)

Thanks for all the help guy's. Komplett have given me an RMA number to return. Think I might get a Ti4200 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

have you tryed the GFx card in a different PC? Are you sure you had the GFx card placed into the slot?

Advertisement