Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much do ya spend?

Options
  • 23-02-2003 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to ppls buying habits....
    Since start of jan Ive been buying around 5-8 albums a week, usually somewhere in the region of €90.. which to some ppl is loads and to others is next to nothing!
    Generally download about 2 or 3 of them as well before buying.
    Personally I blame Road Records mailing list and pitchforkmedia... bastards making me buy stuff

how much ye spend? 21 votes

0-20
    0% 0 votes
    20-50
    42% 9 votes
    50-70
    47% 10 votes
    70-100
    4% 1 vote
    100+
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

some weeks i buy a few albums some none....no muszak ive wanted in ages though..... how do u sign up to roadrecords mailing list ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'd actually buy more albums if they weren't such a damned ripoff. But when a shop wants €22 euro for an album I feel its worth the effort and guilt (yeah right) to see can I download it online.

If the shops had more albums that were outside the top 40 I'd buy more too. Why the **** have space on the shelves for bands when they're never populated with the bands albums ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Tusky
    how do u sign up to roadrecords mailing list ?

should be an option on http://www.roadrecs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well I had stopped buying music a lot. Basically because I couldnt be arsed heading into town. Also I've been spending a fair bit on dvds, but since the begining of the year I've spent about €100 on music.
    Usually I buy more come summer, then it might be closer to €100 a week. Anyway, there's not that much out at the moment that really want to buy, the only thing that comes to mind is the Roots new album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i can go ages without buying cds but then one day ill just find loads that i want and spend absolutely loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i to used to buy loads, especially when napster arrived. but once the euro hit the prices just became stupid.

consider the new zwan album, excelent album but hmv were looking for €50 for the special edition one with the dvd. cdwow.ie have it on sale for less than the price of the standard one at about €21.

plain and simply we are being ripped off and im not going to stand for it anymore and have stopped buying albums on impulse like i used to. only if i really want them do i buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ripoff Ireland once again. Until people en mass start a publicised boycott nothings going to change. I use cdwow.ie for music now actually. Way cheaper.

why the hell do you all shop in HMV/Tower then? plenty of other record shop saround Dublin in particular selling albums at proper prices (i.e. e18 for a new release), then again I really only buy stuff thats around the 12/15 mark, could rarely justify spending 20+ unless its a double cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

I'd buy more CDs if they wern't so damn expensive :( . Why arn't all albums priced like the Fugazi ones (around 15 quid)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

only problem with CDWOW is that they have feck all good music, only chart stuff.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

1 or 2 a week, I suppose...

Depends though, sometimes nothing, sometimes loads.

I got 6 CDs this week alone.
    And I might have more before the week is out.

But I mightn't get anything for another month...?

Often times I'd get a lot at Stalls at different gigs, 15yoyos is the most you'd really pay, and you can often heckle them down a bit easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Hehehe! I have a little trick up my sleeve to get ALL the CD's I want for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

what do ya want a fukin medal or sumtin!?

sorry tryin to give up de smokes,not usually so bitter

i spend what a can afford dependin on tings
    Might get that Phrenology album,but i bin hearin gud reviews
    of dj format and some other weird hiphopy guy,soul somethin
    maybe(that cud be completely wrong mind you)
    Any recomendations?

if i had the cash id spend alot of it on cd's but i don't
    so i spend it on other satuf to ease the pain of living in a
    vain,incresingly apathetic,megalomanic,backward country(see above bitterness) 8)

Kali,have u heard that lesser chap on tigerbeat?
    he anygud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Originally posted by Cheez
    Might get that Phrenology album,but i bin hearin gud reviews
    of dj format and some other weird hiphopy guy,soul somethin
    maybe(that cud be completely wrong mind you)
    Any recomendations?

Phrenology is great, there's a couple of fantastic tracks on it, it gets maybe a little too abstract for it's own good in parts but over all it's very good. DJ Format is definitely recommended, there's a new album out or about to come out.

Kali,have u heard that lesser chap on tigerbeat?
    he anygud?

err very out-there electronic noise.. has a new 12hr mp3-cd out with all his stuff from the past 10 years on it, dunno if i could listen to that much random static noise tho :)
    get his compilation he done with kid606 or any of the stuff with Matmos though.. much much (much) better.

hvent heard of dj format..whats his stuff like ed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Very rarely buy a cd now, id say one every few months. Only buy em if theyre super hard to get online really. Spend the money i save on dvds, i buy a good few a month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Shane

Wow, you're great!
    Only I doubt it's a "trick". Its probably just a CD burner. How unique! You're a very special guy Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Originally posted by Kali
    hvent heard of dj format..whats his stuff like ed?

He's gonna be dubbed englands answer to dj shadow or something silly like that.
    He's got similar influences to shadow(double dee & steinski etc.) His stuff is much closer to traditional hip-hop production(if there is such a thing anymore), makes good use of mc's but his instrumentals are savage, his homage to double dee and steinski 'English Lesson' is fantastic as is most of his other stuff. He's worked with J5 on his album, and is doing a remix for cut chemists solo album. His new album also has abdominal on it who's an amazing mc. He's supporting Jurassic 5 at the red box so you can check him out there, he'll have abdominal along with him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

does the poll include how much you spend on going to gigs etc? cause id probably spend bout the same on gigs per month as on cds

• Advertisement
Advertisement