Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation - Chapter 1

Options
  • 24-02-2003 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Outlook (not express) is sending mails out to everybody in my bloody phonebook with that subject line. THe latest Norton scanner isnt picking up any virus (it's constantly updated), and i cant figure out how to get rid of the annoying bugger....

Does anyone have any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

sounds like a virus alright, make sure you have latest definitions and scan your .pst file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by kamobe
    Outlook (not express) is sending mails out to everybody in my bloody phonebook with that subject line. THe latest Norton scanner isnt picking up any virus (it's constantly updated), and i cant figure out how to get rid of the annoying bugger....

Does anyone have any ideas? :)

It does sound to be like a virus too, what version of nortan do you have and you are 100% sure that nortan is updating correctly?

Try a selective startup (if your OS allows it) and do a manual update of the Nortan software. Then do a full virus scan.

Would be really interested in hearing how it works out for you.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

In case the virus stops the NAV services you should reboot your PC in safe mode (F8 while booting - press it about once a second after the splashscreen appears - the first one, not the windows one - select 3 from the menu of options.) You'll need to start NAV manually (from the programs menu) as services will not start in safemode.

could be a variant of:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mypower.b@mm.html

or

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pokey.worm.html

but definitely sounds like a virus.

You might want to look into some other virus scan software (perhaps a command line scanner) to run alongside NAV. AVG is quite good and has a free version.

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm?session=2e95f517c2b40187349dc743afa29ed2#FREE

hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Still no joy in safe mode :/
    Scanner is picking up a few incoming mails with virus' in them, and I'm deleting them as it happens. But Outlook is still mailing away :/

I'm d/loading avg as recommended, but if Norton (and a completly up to date Norton at that) cant detect anything, I doubt AVG will.....

EDIT: AVG is also not detecting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

There was a new virus alert yesterday from symantec about a mass mailing worm....updates from symantec website are required to clean it...the 25th onwards will clean it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement