Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Shops in the Midlands

Options
  • 24-02-2003 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Where would you buy your computer stuff in the midlands? who is good and who is ****e? opinions please! you're about to have a new place to shop so i want to know peoples opinions on existing places.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

they are all sh*te at the mo.

wheres this new one gonna be???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

cant say yet. gunna offer much better service and pricing then anyone else down there at the moment though. will say we'll be covering offally, kildare, laois and carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Computers Now! in portlaoise has bought in to, or been bought out by a bigger company or franchise. There were ads for it on the telly a while ago.

Mountmellick has a new shop opening which does some computer stuff and is a sky digital dealer.

Computers Now! Is quite good for a small shop, stock a lot of Blaster Hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Computer Now is now operating under the name Compustore but afaik it was always a Compustore store.

Maybe some one can enlighten me?

yep, it's owned by the boys from abbeyleix who own the compustore franchise in kilkenny and also the computer doctor company who go around upgrading/fixing pc's

• Advertisement

any more feedback lads? Just heard OCS have closed their superstore in Tullamore, any feedback on them?

well...all I know is that lately, I've been buying online cos the costs here aren't great.

I need a new PSU and Computers Now quoted E85 for a 350W PSU.

On Komplett.ie, a 450W PSU + P&P, E77 [PSU was 64 +VAT]

now if your prices are gonna be anything like those, then I'm sold!

btw, just remember, there was a DigiStore in Portlaoise a few years ago. I knew the guys who set it up and that disappeared. Prices were good [for those who knew the lads...cost price on goods :D]

what kinda stuff are you hoping to do??? Is it gonna be parts or custom made machines or are you just gonna go for the family all in one market???

everything. big brand machines, custom built by us machines, large range of components, software, games, accessories, networking, servers. you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by pclancy
    any more feedback lads? Just heard OCS have closed their superstore in Tullamore, any feedback on them?

there moving out of there store in the shopping center they cant afford to pay for the rent once it goes up again . they are totaly crap at everything

ive been buying online since 98-99 and ill stay buying online . i cant think of any good stores

there are a few that aint to bad but still buy it online have it in your front door in a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

well clancy hows it goin? ye a new PC store wud be a laugh, jazus the DigiStore was a laugh wen it was goin, i had a great time in there, pity it ****ed up tho. But dude ur gonna have sum serous problem tryng to match the cheap prices that were on offer in there. Hey Paul, wheres d new PC shop gonna be.

n regards 2 Comp Now!/Compustore, they no longer have a branch in Plaose, its been withdrawn...and they werent cheap anuway, John Moyland and Panch were a bunch o useless, mangey gits.

Kmera, do i know u? where u from?

Kmera, do i know u? where u from?

Depends...Simon went to school with me...know Alan from being in the store!

I'm from stradbally

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Mountmellick has a new shop opening
    ... where abouts mark? who's running it?

do i know you nakquada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by NakQuada

n regards 2 Comp Now!/Compustore, they no longer have a branch in Plaose, its been withdrawn...and they werent cheap anuway, John Moyland and Panch were a bunch o useless, mangey gits.

Oi, Panch is a good friend of mine and he happens to really know his stuff, it's hardly his fault that they have to sell stuff at dearer prices. It's not his shop, he just works there.
    :mad:
    gogo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Tullamore needs a good computer shop, but I think avery computer shop should have an online side to it aswell. Therefore people could avail of seeing whats available instead of trailing around a shop looking for something that's not even there.

Originally posted by TomTom
    Tullamore needs a good computer shop, but I think avery computer shop should have an online side to it aswell. Therefore people could avail of seeing whats available instead of trailing around a shop looking for something that's not even there.

yep but the chances of a good one opening are slim ... i would try but the ammount of stock you need is unreal . like one monitor to sell is about 150 avg . for a decent one then u need 10 of those so thats 1500 then the cables for it then the computers to go along with it i know theres like 20% on most things added but still its a hell of a lot of cash . already looked into this . its just not going to happen for a while . ull need close to 250k just for stock min . and enough cash to keep you open for a year and a half . + stors usualy cant beet online prices

I ment more along the lines of a store outlet FOR an online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

OCS(tulllamore)sucks major ding-dong.Those dudes put code in ur pc so u coudnt install anything without password.GOOD RIDDANCE TO RUBBISH.Computer essentials all the way!

Id love to get some of OCS's business. Seems like they've pissed off a serious amount of people by messing them around, poorly built PCs, high pricing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Has anyone been to the new place in Portarlington? Doesn't look great to me! It is in the back of Goodwins store and he has an Internet Cafe set up there too! Not a great location for a start.

Anyway, he refurbishes PCs but also builds them. Not too bad pricing. I was in there about 3 weeks ago. Dont know if it has changed since...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peema

You mean the place opposite Colgans?

I went in on the first day and went ummmm - no.

It'd be nice if there was somewhere where I could get pieces if I was in a hurry, but I'd have to wait and see if they develop it at all...

The other computer shop in tullamore closed down, so ivan told me. Computer essentials.

Originally posted by Nick_oliveri
    OCS(tulllamore)sucks major ding-dong.Those dudes put code in ur pc so u coudnt install anything without password.GOOD RIDDANCE TO RUBBISH.Computer essentials all the way!

the above is not true . they never did that .
    computer essentials is closed now btw ocs in the bridge center is under new management . the guy used to work for ocs so maby it will be better now ?!?! i doubt it .

It's called mckenna electrical. Sean McKenna used to manage the OCS store, he ain't doing computers but still has components and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

they're all crap, http://komplett.ie ?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

I'd have to agree, There is no-one around that has a clue, these guys are not professionals, just trying to make money from people who don't know any better.
    I know a guy who can sort out your PC problems, he doesn't advertise cos he basically does it as a favour to his mates. He really knows his stuff works in Dublin.
    PM me maybe I can put you in contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I can vouch for a company in Tullamore called Century 3000, in Cappincur on the Daingean Road. They don't have a shop per say, but are very good. In Tullamore, they were OCS's biggest competitors, and often out-did them. Talk to Joe on 0506 26672 (info@c3k.ie). They can get you a new Fujitsu-Siemens (very reputable brand) Notebook for a very competitive price inclusive of VAT and a bag, and all the software. And its not a basic model either.

OCS was run into the ground when the greedy owner, Michael Geoghan, ripped-off everyone. A family member of mine was privy to his crooked ways of doing business, and a friend lost out to his undermining his partners, hanging them high and dry.

Don't know what they are like now, but I haven't heard much of them in the last year or 2. They are still operating in Tullamore's Market Square, but are not as thriving as they once were.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is a new place in Portlaoise in Doheny Homecare, it doesn't do games and most of the stuff has to be ordered in, they do get the stuff in and on time, great prices too. pity about the waiting though. Good imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I know a guy called Dan thats works in doheny's homecare building the pc's and whatnot there, would that be you danno?? ;)

Advertisement