Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java, Threading, and Win2K

Options
  • 24-02-2003 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, more questions to do with my eoy project......

I need to connect to 5 URLs simultaneously, to keep my prog from becoming a complete snail.

Win98 and WinNt have absolutely no problems with me generating 5 extra threads on top of the main thread (they seem to be happy to let me make as many threads as I want).

Win2K(what we use in college), however won't let me generate any more than 2 threads on top of the main Thread. If i try, it just dies, no errors, no warnings, nothing.

I'm thinking it may be a setting somewhere, or something to do with access priviledges, but not have admin access to any of the 2K machines, I can't find out.

Anyone know what's going on? I have to do a demo on Thursday, and I'd prefer if my prog wasn't running 2 1/2 times slower simply because of the OS.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Might be something to do with this. Instructions are listed for increasing the number of connections manually but if you've no admin rights on the machine it mightn't do you much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yah, it's real annoying. I'll see if I can get admin rights on the test machine, but :(

Advertisement