Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good webeditor for a mac

• 24-02-2003 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Lo gain,

Was just wondering if anyone knew of a good (free) webeditor for a mac?
    I want to be able to view/fix xml documents.

I was using quanta on redhat linux but it appears that that same product is
    commercial for the mac hmmm

Anyways any help would be appreciated,
    A.

p.s. Is there anything like ilug or clug (linux.ie) for mac users??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dunno about the linux thingmy but I just downloaded "Taco" for OSX. It seems ok but I haven't actually used it yet. Free - downloads.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Can't answer your first question as I don't use a 'free' editor - I use Dreamweaver and a text editor.

As regards:
    Originally posted by b3t4
    p.s. Is there anything like ilug or clug (linux.ie) for mac users??

Check out:

http://www.clubmac.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks for the link Bard but I have this rule which inhibits my ability to part with
    cash. Therefore I refuse to pay the 20yoyo/quid/euro that will allow me to post
    questions on clubmac (not too impressed with the website in general).

Gordon let me know how your getting on with Taco. Will download it as well and
    see how it goes.

Rgrds,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Cool, but I only use it for very basic html! Stuff that could be done on notepad easily ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm using JEdit at the moment for that kind of stuff.. I assume it'll run ok on a Mac, it's nippy on a P3 500 Win NT box.

Teeth.

• Advertisement

Tried Taco, way too basic. :)

Tried jEdit, wasn't impressed, it crashed within a couple of minutes of opening it.

Search continues,
    Rgrds,
    A

Is the free version of BBEdit any cop? It's been years since I used it.

Teeth.

It is bbEdit that is being used atm but it isnt allowing us to do exactly what
    is needed. Iv been told that bbEdit is a great program to use however I am
    yet to be convinced of this. I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Thanks for the link Bard but I have this rule which inhibits my ability to part with
    cash. Therefore I refuse to pay the 20yoyo/quid/euro that will allow me to post
    questions on clubmac (not too impressed with the website in general).

Gordon let me know how your getting on with Taco. Will download it as well and
    see how it goes.

Rgrds,
    A.

What 20 yoyo's? I post there and its never cost me anything? Its a very quiet site though. Much like the Mac section here.

I presume you have to join to be able to post, no?? :confused:
    When I clicked on the join link on the index page it
    mentioned about 20yoyo's. That's all.

Do you know about any other sites similar to this one that are bit more active??

Although the people here have been very helpful.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well I didn't join, maybe its a new thing they have brought out. Too few numbers when it was free I can't see how charging people will improve things. Though maybe you don't need to join the club to register on the boards. Anyway there are better places.

The most knowledgeable place I find are the mailing lists on http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/index.shtml They are a bit too pro-mac though, which sometimes is a bit much to take. If you subscribe I recommend the disgest mode as some of the lists are quite busy. Equally some aren't. Theres a MacWebmaster one, which I haven't tried myself. I'm usually on the older hardware lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

It is bbEdit that is being used atm but it isnt allowing us to do exactly what
    is needed. Iv been told that bbEdit is a great program to use however I am
    yet to be convinced of this. I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

Hmm... what do you want to use it for? I use bbedit for everything, html, php, perl, bash, java, tcl, etc etc. Brilliant stuff.

Especially the html stuff. syntax checking, pretty much builds the tags for you - useful when you've got say 6 or 7 attributes.

Then again, i have the full version, so not sure what the lite version offers.

Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

... or you could always be a real haX0r and use emacs or vi from the shell....

No real experience with emacs but some people swear by it.

Timod,

When I was writing the shell scripts the pre-formatting (if that is the correct
    term) annoyed me. I did check out the feature which allows me to change
    the enviroment in which the script would be run in but it still caused me
    problems.

I have seen the html syntax checker, which you mentioned, on BBEdit and
    thought it a very nifty feature indeed.

I did revert back to emacs but I dont like it on the mac (not as gui'ed) as much as
    I do on linux. Not too fond of vi so I tend to stay clear of it.

ATM Im using textedit.

RicardoSmith,

Thanks for the link. Will be checking it out today.

Rgrds,
    A.

If you've your heart set on a linux editor, why don't you compile it for MacOSX? All you need is an X server (Apple have one now you can download, or go to xdarwin.org) and the developer tools.

A little or a lot of mucking about with the source or the makefiles may be needed, but it's worth a shot. If the editor is really popular and open-source then perhaps it's already available on Fink (fink.sourceforge.net).

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Barebones TextWrangler v1.0 is geared specifically for webdevelopment (and less programming).

Personally I prefer BBEdit 7.0, although I do know that the $179 price tag is a tad steep. Wrangler at $69 seems steep also.

Bah, who cares. Mac users are meant to be rich anyways!

:D

Advertisement