Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GKnot and Virtual Dub

Options
  • 24-02-2003 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

When I encode my films, its always done overnight. I want to change the priority from low(default) to high or realtime. Since I wont be using the PC until its done anyway I could do this. But when I set it through task manager it will go back to low when it goes to the second pass(i.e restarts itself). I would like to do this for besweet, lame and nandub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you are not using the PC in the mean-time, is there any point in changing the priority of the threads? I mean this only changes the priority in comparison to other threads, so if you're not running anything else, they will by default have all of the systems priority (apart from house-keeping)..

Isn't there an option when you go to do the actual encoding to raise/lower the priority (within GKnot)?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    If you are not using the PC in the mean-time, is there any point in changing the priority of the threads? I mean this only changes the priority in comparison to other threads, so if you're not running anything else, they will by default have all of the systems priority (apart from house-keeping)..

Basically the PC will be wasting time(alot of time) waiting for user input all through the nite. While virtualdub is going to get less attention from the CPU when housekeeping is goin on.

Well I was running nandub. The percentage was going up slowly(1% every 6seconds). Changed it to above normal and it was going up every 2 seconds. Basically 3 times faster. Think now if you have 3 or 4 films to do in one night, that will make a significant difference. I dont think it will be 3x faster when virtualdub is running but faster nonetheless.

Don't know setting priorities in the program itself

Advertisement