Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should i look for?

• 24-02-2003 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from my second interview for a job.
    It went well and my prospective employer asked me to get back to him, tomorrow or the next day, with my expected rates of pay.
    It's going to be contract work.
    The length of the contract is yet to be negotiated.
    It's programming work, SQL, ASP or PHP, possibly some Java.
    I'd like to get a guideline as to what kind of pay i should be looking for.
    I can pick hourly, weekly, before-tax, after-tax, etc.
    I don't want to price myself out of the job.
    I'm not long out of college, this will be good experience and will look good on my CV.
    Also holds the possibility of a permanent position.
    All advice, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Killian

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Killian

Congrats on it, hard to get contracts these days. The market is in bits and my advice is that you need the job more than the bigger rate so come in at a good rate and the experience will stand to you.

Did a contract last Feb for 350 per day after tax in Feb 2002.
    Did a contract started in Sept 2002 and got a rate of 200 per day so you can see what the market is like.

I reckon if you hit them with between 20 and 25 per hour so should be grand.

Gluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to know what is expected to be included in your rates, trvels, minor expenses, etc. Also realise that you will have to pay tax & PRSI on these amounts. Are Holidays / Bank Holidays paid (probably not in most contract cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Cheers fella's.

I've submitted my rates and some queries i had.
    So fingers crossed.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Hi there. I work for a training company and the sort of rates that we get in for trainers/developers in those sort of areas range from €400 to €500 per day. You may want to work out how long the contract is and drop the rate accordingly.

Cheers-

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Kell
    Hi there. I work for a training company and the sort of rates that we get in for trainers/developers in those sort of areas range from €400 to €500 per day. You may want to work out how long the contract is and drop the rate accordingly.
    Remember that a company will charge people out at about 3 times salary (not necessarily 3 times daily rates).

• Advertisement
Advertisement