Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! anchor problems

Options
  • 25-02-2003 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello

I'm having a problem with anchors. They're okay in Moz 1.2.1, Netscape 4x and Opera 5 but don't work in IE5. I'm coding by hand and I'm on Mac 9.2

I'm using the A NAME etc.

Any ideas?

Ta in advance

Fergus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Can't see why this wouldn't work. Although I haven't done this in a while.

Define the anchor::
    <a name="anchor_name">Define the anchor</a>

Link to the anchor::
    <a href="#anchor_name">Link to anchor</a>

[edit] Good to see you on Boards btw, good a place as any to 'keep an eye on the road'. Good job on the site too.[/edit]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hi Fergus,

We need specific context to be able to help you, but I'm guessing that you're using characters that MSIE is having problems with -- spaces in particular confuse certain browsers, particularly if several anchors use the same first word. Stick to alphanumeric (a-zA-Z0-9), dashes (hyphens) and underscores (_).

If that doesn't help, please post some HTML.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fergus Cassidy

Thanks Ballooba and Adam.

I had a look at the code and I just can't see anything wrong. That doesn't mean there isn't of course :)

I want to link from http://www.ethos.org/indextest.html (3rd item down you'll see the link) to my blog at http://www.ethos.org/blogtest.html (a piece headlined Lest We Forget)

If you've time, those test pages are on site now. Weird it doesn't work in IE5, but as it's a quite popular version (grrrr), I need to fix it.

cheers
    Fergus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The anchor works fine.

It just becomes invisible if you've visited that page already.

This is because your CSS code is setting visited links to white (which is the same colour as the background).

You should change the line that reads:
    a:visited {  text-decoration: none; background: none; color: white; }

to have a different value ("darkblue" for example) in for 'color' instead of "white".

Fixed it!

I was fiddling around and accidentally changed A NAME to lower case. Seems IE5 didn't like the caps.

thanks again for the help

Fergus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Fergus Cassidy
    Fixed it!

I was fiddling around and accidentally changed A NAME to lower case. Seems IE5 didn't like the caps.

thanks again for the help

Fergus

I very much doubt that the HTML tag and parameter being in upper or lower case makes the slightest bit of difference..

You still have the same problem in that when a link is visited it will become white. I think you should edit your style code, as suggested above.

Cheers Bard, I'll do those link changes.

Fergus

Advertisement