Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you cycle?

Options
  • 25-02-2003 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I'm so pissed off with this,

Who gave you the right to break lights, ride on footpaths, cycle home at night with no ****in lights (I'd go to jail if I was unfortunate enough to hit you.

Yours Sincerely,

Stephen Mc Daid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

yeah i do when i'm feeling brave enough to face the cars that intimidate me

we always have the moral high ground

*smug*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Actually thats a very valid point there Stephen.

Cyclists cycling on the, sometimes unlit, road, at night with no lights or reflectors of any kind attached to themselves. They are so difficult to see untill you are on top of them forcing a quick reaction on the motorists behalf.

Another one of the Irish peoples illegal habits, that they neither give a snot about, are going to do anything about, or get prosecuted for.

[added]
    Is it actually illegal to cycle a bike without lights at night?
    I know I've been stopped by a Garda and told that I must have lights, then asked to come to the station within 14 days showing my bike with new lights attached.

->I came back on a motorbike hehe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Yep it is illegal to cycle a bike at night without lights. As for the other points made here, there's good and bad on both sides.

There are many motorists out there who don't give a toss about cyclists, and as a result, cyclists tend to avoid them, which often means cycling on the footpath, etc just so they don't have to share the road with moronic motorists who're out to kill them.

Then there are cyclists who flagrantly flaunt the rules of the road, and piss off motorists, who subsequently decide that cyclists are bad, and don't bother too much about taking aco**** of cyclists on the road.

So there's something of a vicious circle going on here. Personally as a motorist and cyclist, I try to be considerate to the other party, having been knocked off my bike by incosiderate motorists, and having the heart put crossways in me by cyclists doing silly things.

As for running red lights, cycling on footpaths, etc, I'll do it if I consider it safe for me, and not dangerous to other road users. Quite often, on the approach to a set of traffic lights, I've found that many motorists are not considerate enough to allow a gap along the side of the road for cyclists to use to make their way up to the lights - ditto in slow moving traffic. So it can be a bit frustrating for me if the traffic is moving along at 10mph, and I can be doing 20-25mph on the bike and have to slow down, stop cos of motorists. So I'll use the footpath sometimes to get around the cars and continue on my merry way.

At red lights, if I'm turning left, I'll usually sneak up on to the path to get around the corner and continue back on the road if there's no traffic coming. Likewise, when the lights are changing on a junction, and they're all red before the go green in 'my' direction, I'll start off through the red light provided there are no amber gamblers coming across my path. I'm not out to flaunt the law so much as get around as quickly as I can on the bike, which can be considerably quicker than a car in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Excuse me mister, cyclists do cause accidents, but are injured and killed out of all proportion of their number or the amount of accidents they cause. Accidents don't kill people, cars kill people.
    Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    Who gave you the right to break lights, ride on footpaths, cycle home at night with no ****in lights (I'd go to jail if I was unfortunate enough to hit you.
    I actually saw a Garda cylist with no lights recently.

Advertisement