Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best i-stream equipment

Options
  • 25-02-2003 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

I am due to have i-stream enhanced installed and i was wondering what is the best way to connect it up. I have 4 PCs that i want to connect.....Should i

(a) Get a cheap USB modem and use internet connection sharing
    (b)Get a router with an ethernet port and ADSL connection.

What brands are best? Recommendations please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by jyd
    Hi

I am due to have i-stream enhanced installed and i was wondering what is the best way to connect it up. I have 4 PCs that i want to connect.....Should i

(a) Get a cheap USB modem and use internet connection sharing
    NO! Don't have anything to do with USB if you want to share the connection!
    (b)Get a router with an ethernet port and ADSL connection.
    The D-Link DSL-504 sounds like a good soultion - an ADSL router (it has an ADSL port, so you don't need a "modem" - it plugs directly into the ADSL line) and a built in 4 port 10/100 switch. About €170 delivered to Ireland
    What brands are best? Recommendations please
    You might also want to check out this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

well depends on how much money you have and how much you know about setting up pc/router

first off ethernet is better than USB

There is a few things you can do.
    First you do not need to pay eircom €900 to install
    A router. You can buy your own router
    You do not need to pay a Eircom engineer too setup it up

The info you will need from eircom.net is
    VPI (Virtual Path Identifier) 8
    VCI (Virtual Channel Identifier) 35
    Login Name ******
    Password *******
    Type of Multiplexing LLC
    Type of Encapsulation PPPoE
    It’s auto DNS/DHCP for your IP
    some of your setting might be diff so you
    You can check the info by ringing the tech ling at
    1800 460 260
    you need to have adsl installed when ringing them.

That is just about all the info that a Eircom engineer enters a router,

If your buying your own router, then one of the better one’s that will work In Ireland is the ZyXEL 643.
    you need a dsl modem that has
    PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE, RFC 2516)
    G.dmt (ITU G.992.1)
    NAT might be usefull if you have a network

When you order DSL a Eircom Ireland engineer will come out and fit a mirofilter on your phone line and check the adsl will work.
    then you can plug in your ADSL router and ring the techs just check your settings and that should be it.

some links
    if you looking to buy a ZyXEL the reviwe has a few places you can order from the UK
    if your looking at reviwes make sure they use PPPoE, G.dmt (ITU G.992.1)

ADSLguide.org is a UK site and they use PPPoA in the UK but a lot of routers will do both PPPoE and PPPoA
    Reviwe of the ZyXEL 643

there are a number of diff
    routers and modems this is just one that I got.
    it has a 4 port switch which might just do as a
    starter hub for your pc's and if you have a hub all
    ready then you just connect from one hub to the other.

I hope thats some helps.

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'm not sure if this is a useful comment, but Eircom themselves sold us a Zyxel Prestige 645 ethernet ADSL modem about a month ago (I think it was 200 euro, we were probably ripped off, but what the hey, it's not my money ;) ) for a work ADSL connection, which went "live" almost a fortnight ago. It's talking to a Smoothwall box and is running like a watch (I'm delighted to say... because I'm behind it right now!). Bear in mind this product only has one "downstream" port.

I understand, though, that Eircom aren't exactly doing an exemplary job of keeping this stuff in stock, so don't be too surprised if you call them to find they don't have any at the moment...

HTH
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

I have purchased a D-Link DSL-504 from it direct for €167 inc vat over the counter.

Thanks for the info guys......now all i have to do is get it to work on Friday pm if/when eircom arrive.

Regards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I got the Prestige643 off Eircom but It seemed to be a custom job as alot of the menus and options were missing presumably to stop meer mortals messing with the config. I upgraded the firmware last week to the newest one from the Zyxel site I had to use Xmodem because guess what, the upgrade option was missing too, I have all the options now:)

Red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Redshift
    I got the Prestige643 off Eircom but It seemed to be a custom job as alot of the menus and options were missing presumably to stop meer mortals messing with the config. I upgraded the firmware last week to the newest one from the Zyxel site I had to use Xmodem because guess what, the upgrade option was missing too, I have all the options now:)

Red

You probably had an old version of the firmware, they don't give out routers with custom firmware on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I suppose it's a possibility but it was missing menu options that were refered to in the Manaul that came with it I just thought it a little odd.

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Redshift
    I suppose it's a possibility but it was missing menu options that were refered to in the Manaul that came with it I just thought it a little odd.

Red

Older firmware, newer manual.
    I can't imagine Eircom would care if you mess with the settings or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

I have my 1 mb line noe and the 167 euro router from IT Direct is perfect....1 minute setup time and i was online....now to secure it
    :( This will take some time as i have no idea where to start

The downloading is impressive and gameplay has improved, but ping times would be better without the interleave. Some servers are similar to the isdn ping times i had...

I reckon with interleaving turned off, i would be able to play on another 40% of the servers listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

ADSL PCI Modem For Sale

ADSL PCI Modem Still In Box Internal PCI card ADSL Suitable for eircom ADSL line Up to 8Mb/s downstream, 1Mb/s upstream RJ11 connection (phone) Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP

€80 + P&P

• Advertisement
Advertisement