Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on building

• 25-02-2003 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

hi
    im a newbie to building and i might be building a cheap computer for a friend. i have been browzing around on komplett but the bundles seem to be too high spec.
    anybody got any advice on which bundle would suit or should i buy all parts seperate
    thanx

and is there anyway to get all your hardware details from windows?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Komplett aint high spec they normal spec.
    Base line standard computer now should be 1.5ghz CPU 512 RAm and 64 MB video card.

Thats the minimum spec on games these days.

Buy an upgrade kit off komplett and scour the for sale boards for the other parts needed "mouse one there now ,printer one there also, cd rom im selling one, HD seem in short supply get from komplett and there are never ever ever any cases on the for slae board get one from Maplin in Town fairly cheap or steal one from your job like i had to"

Not sure what hardware you want to know about but Device Manager in System should tell you everything.

Or get Sisoft Sandra for a better list of parts in your PC.

kdfac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

thanx for the advice
    i think ill buy all my stuff off komplett bar mouse keyboard floppy etc
    im wonderin how much to charge this person for building the pc
    any ideas on what the going rate is
    while im at it....what is the best way for me to make a partition on windows and call it under a new drive name eg h is it as simple as using partition magic ...and advice on what software i should use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd charge them about 100 yoyo on top of the price of all the bits & bobs.
    i guess around 10% of the price is a good cut.

partition magic should od the job, or if you're running windows9x go to start/programs/accescories/system tools/drivespace (i think)
    create an uncompressed drive with that & you can give it whatever drive letter you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Going rate..

Find a system of a similar spec for sale retail.. reasonable price, dell like not PC world.

Get the difference in the price of your parts and this whole system. Cut it in half and theres your mark up.

Example components cost 800
    System from dell costs 1300
    Price Diff = 500
    your mark up 250

Customer pays 1050

Dont forget to add in the VAT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

lol .....i thought my €50 markup was a bit generous:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do it for free if hes a mate, one day he will have a job or skill you will need.

:D
    Wouldnt charge anyone if i built a pc for them ,its not like its hard and i enjoy doing it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

there was 2 p4 processors for sale in the for sale board the other day for about 100

Advertisement