Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Di Canio loses the rag

• 25-02-2003 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

It seems that Paulo has flipped big time:
    Paolo di Canio has revealed he is set to leave West Ham this summer. The Italian has also criticised manager Glenn Roeder's decision to substitute him during Sunday's 2-1 win over West Brom.

Di Canio was livid when substituted four minutes into the second half at the Hawthorns. West Ham's victory kept alive their chances of escaping the Barclaycard Premiership relegation zone, and Di Canio was not happy to be withdrawn from such a crucial match.

Now he has claimed that his Upton Park contract will not be renewed in the summer.

"I am very angry at the way I was substituted," the 34-year-old told The Sun. "The manager said that he thought I was injured and that was his reason for taking me off. But that is just an excuse because I wasn't injured.

"I was fit and causing problems for West Brom, so I can't understand his decision. We were 1-0 up when I came off with the game in our hands, so his decision wasn't justified.

"I'm so angry, not because I was substituted but because of the principle. Nobody can decide if I'm injured or not, even the manager.

"I'm an experienced player and I know when I'm okay, nobody else."

Di Canio fears Roeder's managerial naivety may could cost the club their place in the Premiership.

"Glenn Roeder is still a young manager and he makes mistakes. Just because we won it doesn't mean that his decisions were all good ones. It would be a big mistake to think like that. After all we are still third from bottom.

"The win at West Brom was a fantastic result but we must not kid ourselves because we were very, very lucky. Our second-half tactics were bad and we were very fortunate not to have lost."

Di Canio believes the game turned in West Brom's favour following his withdrawal.

He added: "In the first half, we limited West Brom to only a few chances and were in control of everything.

"David James had nothing to do until the manager took me off. Then we lost our way and David was forced to make miracle save after save.

"In the 12 games I have missed this season, we have not won any. Is that a coincidence? Maybe I'm a lucky mascot. Perhaps I should play even with one leg!"

© 2003 ireland.com

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

hehe... Problem is who'll want him after all the trouble he was causing manager's in the past and at present. He's very skillful and all that but he's 34. So he's chancing his neck this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Think he missed his chance of a final swan song at Man Utd.
    Maybe hes a bit pissed at that also.

Either way great player not far wrong with his bitching.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree he missed out on the Utd chance. But even now he'd be a breath of fresh air to the Utd attack. Or maybe even the Kop attack. Mr. Houllier take note; remember what old Gary did for the team:p

Advertisement