Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avi/mpg to DVD

• 25-02-2003 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hiyahs,

I have a few movies on my computer here and would love to watch them on my dvd whilst relaxing in bed/chilling out. I've seen a few articles about, but no complete guides. Im new to this whole Dvd scene.. believe it or not.

Anyway, what Id really like is a guide (step by step?) to converting and burning the avi or megs to dvd.

What software do I need?
    Where do I get it?
    What do I do?
    What formats should the dvd be in?
    Anything else I should know?
    Got any cool tips?

Etc. Im sure there is a few gurus about that know the know in dvds, so any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If your DVD supports the VCD format, have a look at:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not sure if you want to convert them to VCD which is the way I do it.
    I use tempeng,virtuadub and vcdeasy.
    Try www.vcdhelp.com

They have full guide for converting avi etc to vcd.They also have a page which will help you work out if your standalone player will play VCDs.
    For example my Sony will only play VCD if they are burned onto a CDRW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Firstly you have to see if your dvd will support dvd-/+R
    (assuming you want it to be played on other DVD player than your burner)

but if all is well

you can try this guide

but be warned : Most people watch DivX with a post-processing filter activated. This filter does a lot to make the movie look better by applying smart deblocking techniques. When you convert an AVI to another format you don't have these filters in between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    ...would love to watch them on my dvd whilst relaxing in bed/chilling out...

lol, those avi's/mpeg's, they're not q3 demos are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

As far as I am aware, most DVD players that play VCDs will play MPEGS straight off a cd. Mine does annyhoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I have a tonne of stuff on copying DVD's/converting stuff to dvd.

do remmber that u have to Auth the DVD using software, Sonic stuff is ****,

I have all the software and FAQ's/Webbys stored on my HD at home.

Send me an Email doodee@iol.ie
    and pop in your mobile no, I'll txt u to give u cd with stuff on it,
    some of the software is a heafty download for dial-up.

soz, im waffling, but look at the hour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

Have you got a dvd burner...if so you can re encode your avi into vobs and use nero to burn it as a dvd using tempgncode.

Full info for this is on www.doom9.org

That should read tmpgenc

I should have added...if you are using a cd burner, then you would make a video cd which will work on many dvd players but not all. Again tmpgenc is able to do this.....but you need to change frame rates around.....again there is a full step by step on www.doom9.org in the help files.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I use TmpEnc but for some avi to mpeg conversions I Get no sound and when i use software to extract the sound seperetly to a WAV file and try to call that wav file in TmpEnc..It crashes on me.

Im soo lost

I've used DVD2SVCD a few times to convert avi->svcd

and worked ok ..

have a look here

if ya need anysoftware pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

another thing...is a 803MB mpeg file to big to put on an 800Meg CD ...just wondering if its "really" 800megs or is there a enough sdpace for an extra 5-10 megs

just one thing concerning file size

if ya see in my-computer a file is e.g.

720,143kb .. one may assume it is 720 Mb
    but really its 703Mb as 1024kb = 1 Mb

to be sure of your file size right click then press properties

also a few cd-s let ya overburn by a MB's

so I wouldn't say 803 is too big.

I put a 704Mb file on a 700MB cd

But you can always get rid of the end credits using virtual Dub

if you can't burn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

another thing...is a 803MB mpeg file to big to put on an 800Meg CD ...just wondering if its "really" 800megs or is there a enough sdpace for an extra 5-10 megs

If you use VCDeasy select "allow overburning". Will enable you to put a few MB's over onto a VCD.

For all those using TPMGenc to encode your movies check out this guide - how to fit 1 movie onto 1 VCD . It's an excellent guide that shows you a trick to unlock TPMGenc to enable you to change all the settings. You can then encode any movie to fit onto 1 or 2 VCD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Thanks Guys,

I'll have a gander at all these and tell you how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I actually interested in doing something similar , I've recently purchased a video editing card to transfer Video from my Digi Camcorder onto my hard drive and eventually onto CD-R's which will play on my DVD player (Philips DVD634 -I think) , so I'd appreciate it if you let us know how your getting on and how easy/costly this will be !!

Any other suggestions or comments on what I should do ?

tinofapples

I have captured video from digicam to my pc with a firewire card. Then i used microsoft moviemaker (FREE download from MS) and edited it and added audio and special fx. THen i saved it as a dv avi in movie maker and then i used nero to burn it as a vcd.

This then plays on my PC and on my set top dvd player :)

Be careful with framerates though as this can cause the video to go out of sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I have downloaded Nero 5.5 (I think ) but have a problem in that their is no serial number = pain in the ass !!

pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

why convert your DivX collection when you could just get a new standalone player. :p

(UK sites have it priced around £260 - £280)

tinofapples....you might find what you are looking for on gamecopyworld.com :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement