Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow boards.ie got slashdotted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ireland offline has been mentioned a few times on slashdot and the forum has been linked before too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

not a bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

[Noob] So what exactly is the problem with slashdot?[/Noob]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Doodee
    [Noob] So what exactly is the problem with slashdot?[/Noob]
    slashdot effect n.

1. Also spelled "/. effect"; what is said to have happened when a website being virtually unreachable because too many people are hitting it after the site was mentioned in an interesting article on the popular Slashdot news service. The term is quite widely used by /. readers, including variants like "That site has been slashdotted again!" 2. In a perhaps inevitable generation, the term is being used to describe any similar effect from being listed on a popular site. This would better be described as a flash crowd. Differs from a DoS attack in being unintentional.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

most normal webservers just get flattened. Boards, however, is no normal webserver :)

Regi is being very modest, there arent many sites that survive it so casually...

Apart from a BIG rise in our Users Online (and I suspect in our impressions) things passed smoothly enough.

[nerd]
    Its kinda like having the Eye of Sauron look at you and then pass you over....
    [/nerd]

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

or prehaps [beard] tags.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

[beard] tags... what a quality idea.

I volunteer syxpak to code them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I second that and insist that Syx's icon be rotated 180degrees to show a beardy Phil Lynott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

beardie.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Gordon
    I second that and insist that Syx's icon be rotated 180degrees to show a beardy Phil Lynott.

Is there a ZZ-Top avatar? :)

Advertisement