Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfering files hdd to hdd in oldish computer

• 25-02-2003 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

yesterday i took out a 80 gig wd hdd ( about 2 months old ) and put it into another computer to transfer files across ( ide 0 and ide3 ) i had copied all the files onto the hdd previous and it took i think 6-8 mins . now on the other pc its telling me that it will take 200 mins r so .

the files ammount to about 8-9 gigs total whats going on why is it so slow the hdd is a 7200 drive ( both of them )

the computers used were xp/2k os's

just looking for any reason

no programs were runnign in the background that i could see

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

DMA not enabled or something.
    What was the CPU usage like?

Enable Block Mode Transfers in the Bios too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ive had that problem too. not sure what causes it, but a scan and defrag seems to help it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

one other thing it could be....you using 80-strand cables?
    Are they decent quality? Have you tried doing a home-rounding of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx guys will look at the bios/ defrag / scandisk it .. wont like doing that as large drives .. it will take ages

unsure what the cpu usage is during the transfer ill try it again

Advertisement