Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying second hand /cheap games

Options
  • 25-02-2003 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

hi
    first time posting in this group, so be gentle.
    I'm looking into buying some PC games for myself (30 something). Only game I've ever bought was Myst some years ago.
    Not keen on spending 50-60 euro on a game I mightn't like. Most games mags I've looked at are for 10 y.o kids. And contain reviews of shoot em up games. Not interested in this.
    Soooo, looking into buying games second hand. Have tried a shop on Talbot street. Small number of PC games.

Someone mentioned Black & White to me. Liked the idea of the game. I bought a B&W addon (didn't realise this at the time) for 30 yoyos. Smyths did give me a refund on this when I brought it back within the week.

Might even buy one of those 80's games compilations I saw somewhere. Damned memory failing again!

TIA
    -ao-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pick up Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear - it's a tactical shooter game, and well worth it.

I also recommend Blade Runner - it's a point&click set in the Blade Runner universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

i've found The Underdogs site is great for all those old games of yesteryear you can no longer buy.. go have a look and download some oldies.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is that site for real???

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

youve never heard of home of the underdogs? it ones of the longest running abandonware site on the net. its been going for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

nope i dont get out much :D

read the FAQ seems fine.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

I think i know what shop ur talking about in talbot street its under the train tracks right? anyways i went their to chip my ps1 ages ago (for import games mind) looked really dodgy to me, check the games b4 hand if ur gonna buy it there. Also theres some little shop a few doors down which sells games as well not sure if its still there remember me m8 picked up ff8 there brand new for £20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BladeRunner is pretty damn good all right - you should be able to pick it up for around a tenner new. Civ is always a favourite, ditto stuff like Command & Conquer, Gangsters (the first one - not the sequel), any of the Age of Empires series, Empire Earth. I find Train Simulator quite relaxing TBH (don't laugh). Most of those (except Train simulator) should be pretty cheap at this point. Grim Fandango as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres hundreds of games out there, so if you could give some idea of the genre you might like? Also theres lots of 30+ gamers especially in genres like simulations like car racing, flight sims and combat simulations. If you look at the back of a games magazine in easons they usually list the games they reckon are very good in each genre. Though if you stand around too long you'll get asked "are you the 98fm fugitive" a lot. Must be something about Easons I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Take a look at the "sold out" range of games and other retro kinda labels. smyths (in cork anyway) seem to be the best stockists of them but most game shops have a good selection. Just looking at the shelf in front of me here, Thief: The Dark Project, Ceaser 3, Broken Sword 1+2, Homeworld, Pharoah, Revenant, Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

I got all them for around 5-10 euro each. Deffo get homeworld and heroes 3 if you like strategy anyways, one is RTS and the other is TBS. The specs for the games are reasonable for my laptop too:)

Homeworld: Pentium 200, 4x cdrom, 32mb ram, 4mb gfx, 100mb hd space!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Smiths (or is it Smith) toy store is usually cheaper here in Dublin too. Though Game is ok on the budget stuff, just expensive on the new titles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement