Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do file names change to CAPS when moved!?

Options
  • 25-02-2003 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Why do file names change to capitals (in part and whole) when I transfer them from a PC running Xp over to any OS below ME (excl. win2k) from a Floppy/Zip or USB Jump Drive!?

Its a pain in the tits if your FTp'ing them for instance and index.htm becomes Index.HTM for some unknown reason.

I seaccrhed a bit on the MS website but couldnt find anything eluminating on the subject.

Any ideas why this happens!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

Not sure if you use the same prog, but I had a similar issue when using Reflections FTP Client. To resolve it go to Conection | Site Properties | Transfer tab and set case of 8.3 file names to Preserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

i was using FTP as an example as how it is annoying but its not a software issue, but an OS issue as far as I can see.

For example the problem exists in Windows Explorer.

Case in point... See attached
    All these file names should be lower case and they appear as so in XP but in 98se here in UCD, some appear with caps etc.- and if i was to upload them to a server they would stay that way :(

Advertisement