Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matrix Reloaded Phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

looks more like a walkie talkie to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Looks like a ****ing hand grenade or something or an action man accessory. Really plug ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Weh! That must be a piss-take! The buttons are taken from an old analogue style "cell"phone.

/me is dubious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Looks like a tank viewed from above. I'll bet it bounces if you drop it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Looks horrible - even worse than the 7650 and half a year later than it? Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i think im going to be sick !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

there must be some mistake....it's james t kirks communicator:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Looks like a makey uppie phone to me!
    Horrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

more rumors - Neo, phone home

The phone could be announced as early as March 17, when Samsung, Microsoft and wireless carrier Sprint PCS plan to host a "Matrix-themed party" during the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association trade show in New Orleans

might it be a MS Smartphone device?

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DubWireless
    might it be a MS Smartphone device?
    Only if MS can get it to market without the manufacturer dumping the OS this time... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Only if MS can get it to market without the manufacturer dumping the OS this time... :rolleyes:

yeah - twice would be careless :)

i bet their recent investment in symbian raised a few eyebrows in the ms smartphone camp

unique thing about samsung - they license all the majors for the smartphone / wireless pda platform: palm, symbian, ms smartphone and ms pocket pc phone ed. - there's a company spreading their bets for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I think it looks fairly crappy too. Its a big block and as washout said its looks like a walkie talkie, But i'm sure it'll look cool in the movie though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I thought it was one of them communicator things off the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

reason it looks so crap (i'm not completely up on the matrix so bear with me) is because its supposed to be made by the resistance fighters (Neo, trinity morpheus et al. remember how all their equipment from the first film was made of old sundered machinery) and not actually within the matrix itself, like the nokia 7210 was, when neo used it in the office scene.

had a go on it at a demo from Samsung last week. it feels funny in the hand due to the form factor (being used to smooth edged handsets)

neo_cebit03_device.ie.jpg

the screen is excellent, bright and high resolution, small clips from the move play as you navigate through the menus, it uses Samsung own operating system

button on the side releases the spring loaded 'earpiece' to reveal the full screen - with the 'earpiece' down a small portion of the screen is displayed with the main icons (signal, battery, time), it also displays the caller ID of incoming calls

asked if a GSM/GPRS model was on the way, 'maybe' was the answer but they decided to go the CDMA route first (the handset on display was CDMA) so couldn't test out the call functionality

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by DubWireless
    (the handset on display was CDMA) so couldn't test out the call functionality
    All you need is a USIM, the network's there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    reason it looks so crap (i'm not completely up on the matrix so bear with me) is because its supposed to be made by the resistance fighters (Neo, trinity morpheus et al. remember how all their equipment from the first film was made of old sundered machinery) and not actually within the matrix itself, like the nokia 7210 was, when neo used it in the office scene.

(that could make sense)

Crap idea though: Hey, why not buy this phone!?! It's got all the technology you'd expect if you were being pursued by computers that dominate the world and had to put together a phone out of old outdated tech that the evil computers didn't want. Oh yeah, we put it together using spoons (in the real world there are spoons)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah that does make sense. I thought it was bollix.

I guess I'll eat my hat then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

, like the nokia 7210 was, when neo used it in the office scene.

Was actually an 8110 mate. 7210 was the green WAP phone that basically sucked. 8110 looked great but had a battery life that would barely last a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

The green phone was the 7110.
    The 7210 is a new phone. Think you're right about the one in the Matrix being the 8110. AFAIK it wasn't even GSM. Probably why it (or a renamed one for Europe) was never released here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The 8110 was GSM (at least I remember seing one in Europe). Of course the original Matrix phone was also given a spring loaded cover (which the 8110 did not come with) - a feature that was passed onto the hugely successful 7110.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Really? Could of sworn otherwise. Oh well, my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Sorry about that, mixed up the 7110 for the actually pretty cool 7210.

I had one of the 8110s for a short while. They looked quite cool, and weren't incredibly expensive, £200 with a contract (Eircell) and AFAIR it was around 1998. They were definitely out before the movie was released, and I don't believe the phone ever was released at all outside of Asia and Europe (so to americans with gammy mobiles it would look even better prob).

The new Samsung one could be cool if it comes with proper equipment like triband, GPRS and a good OS, bluetooth or WiFI or something to make it stand out other than simply differently shaped plastic.

well it's arrived (US only)...

http://www.samsungtelecom.com/matrix/phone.html

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Despite its appearance, if i had the money i'd probably buy if for the sake of novelty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Fools and money

Advertisement