Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex Sky Sub UK Digiboxes in Ireland.

• 25-02-2003 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

I have an ex-Sky Sub UK Digibox still working fine with all UK Channels. I assume the card will be invalidated shortly???
    Should I now apply for a FTV card or wait until (if) I am cut off.

I assume you now have to register the digibox serial number with Sky. Does this mean that if their system shows the digibox matched with another card already that they will cut off the old card straight away or will they pay no attention to that card.

I would like to know so as to decide whether to apply right away for a new card or wait until I get the dreaded blue screens

Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The simple answer is, Ring them and find out Have all the details ready, if you need to re-order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I don't know who the box I have is registered to. Therefore when I do ring up it will be to register the box to a new address/user.
    I will obviously say I bought it second hand in the paper etc.
    However, I don't want to do this until I know my original card will not be disconnected in the meantime.

Anyone know what may happen?

(Also is a phone line a pre requisite for these new cards or can you fudge around it).

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only new SUBSCRIBER contracts, and ONLY for first year need a phone line.

Since you can't order Sky box Office without a sub, FTV boxes never need a phone line.

After first year, ANY sky box, except Mirror Subscriptions, only needs pbone to order Sky box Office, and even that can (or used to be) do able by voice over mobile etc.

Older ROI susbcribers never had the phone connect clause. That only came here, in Line with UK since Sky ROI Interactive offically launched.

To "authorize" a UK FTV card or change a card to a new box you may need:
    Name & Address with REAL UK post code (They know the postcode ought to be from address).
    All on services | setup | system details:
    Card Number
    Box Model
    Box Serial number

Card change overs do not require any phone call at all, only a working existing card "married" to the box.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
    Even if your contract requires phone connection (1st Year or Mirror Sub), you can and ought to discoonect the phone during storms or if away. If away unplug the box mains too.

After a prolonged period of disuse you may have to hold "backup" on the box (not remote) while applying power if the box or card missed a SW update. The Card may take some hours in such a case to re-enable RTE or BBC or C4 etc. (Has to wait for new "keys" to arrive).

Thanks for your help Watty.
    What I'll do is try and get a new card by giving all UK details etc.

However, by doing this , do you think they will cut off the card I have straight away or it this just continue working until it gets cut off naturally?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

If the old card gets cut off straight away you miss the channels for a few days. If you wait for the channels to go off and order the new card you miss the channels for a few days.

If you are that worried about loosing the channels for a few days, get order the card but don't give them any details. Tell them you are getting a secondhand box installed next week but don't have the details yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

When you call them talk in your normal accent and give an Irish-sounding name if you like - they're less likely to think you're up to something if you sound 'yourself' and at ease on the telephone - tell them as I did lately that you bought your Digibox 2nd hand and that you have been using quite happily the ex-sub card that you got with it. You are now calling them as you believe that the card will soon become obsolete. The girl I told this to just asked me for my UK postal caode, told me the name of my road and asked for my name and number. Received my card after a few days, but the only bummer was that it was the old type - I guess they'd run out of the new ones, so soon my cousin in London should be posing me my second card in the space of a few weeks!

Your existing card will work until you've activated your new card. Be sure to block caller ID when you call them, and have the telephone number as well as the address details in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Your existing card will work until you've activated your new card

My question is I have a UK sub as well. I have no idea who the card was registered to previously so I have no way of getting my new card. So you say your exsisting card will work until you have activated your new card. What happens if you never activate your new card (because in my case I'll never get it) ?

BTW I've a feeling I know the answer already but I said I'd ask anyway. :(

Question.

Got ex Sky Sub Digibox with newtype card in. If I put this card into another box to check if ITV CH4 / CH 5 will work do you think it will have any effect on the new card when I put it back into the right box.

Thanks

No.

Longer answer....
    The only way to fully "move" a card to a new box is ring Sky or FTV centre with Card number, old box details, new box details and your own details. They will happily change over the card.

If you don't do the above the card always works best in the original box it was authourized in (married to).

Watty,

Thanks for this information which totally clarifies everything for me.

FYI, I am based in Limerick and just bought another ex-Sky Sub
    digibox off a guy moving to the USA. Reason I bought it was it has a new type card and I was expecting my old card to be cut off at some stage. I also have the bonus of a full month of Sky movies/ITV2/Talksport etc before his subscription dies.
    However, if my old FTV card doesn't get cut off I will switch back to it at the end of April as it is a Grundig fast box whereas the box I just got is an old Pace and is much slower.

Question is , if I have my Grundig disconnected etc for a month ,should the card still work when I re connect this box.
    Would appreciate clarification on this.

Thanks

• Advertisement

two issues with a box off for days, weeks or months:

1) if the box misses an update, it will work better if you hold the backup button on the box to force update as you plug in power. I had to do that to my old S/H Grundig as it had been in a box for months. Do this first time with no card.

2)if the card misses a "key change", then even C4 etc, not just BBC stops working. Leaving it on and in on the missing channel fixes it after an hour or two or sometimes a day or two.

I'm in/near Limerick too..

Advertisement