Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband: Useful or Not to Gamers?

• 25-02-2003 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Ive been playnig computer games online for many years now and ive noticed that when I log off there has been a big amount of data transmitted, If with Eircom there is a downlaod Limit of 4gb per month, I doubt Broadband from them would be any use.

1. Will there be any sort of variable options from Eircom with their new DSL products which will be mass market as I (a Gamer) would probably rise a gig of data downloaded in less then 2 weeks.

2. I know Esat BT are also offering DSL services but I have no Idea of how much it costs per month for 512kbps. Could some one give me an idea of what it costs?

3. As I am a Gamer and I will be getting broadband, is there anyone that ye could suggest that charges around €55 - €60 for 512kbps with no cap limit and has an exchange in limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

its not really an issue n here but s bread n butter stuff over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to the BBforum then

Esat certainly have DSL available in Limerick (Roches Street and Dooradoyle exchanges). Eircom supposedly have DSL available from the Castletroy (LLC) exchange - though I know no-one with it and can't figure out how they fitted any equipment into it. Neither company is offering any service (at least not yet) at the price range you mentioned.

Incidentally if you manage to transfer 1 Gb in under two weeks, 4Gb per month would probably be sufficient for you (or close to it)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

A gig every 2 weeks eircoms dsl would suit you.

Even if you do go over the 4gig cap I have never heard of anybody actually being charged for it. Eircom reserve the right to charge you alright but afaik they dont.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You will not exceed your cap through gaming!!!

We need this branded in FIRE at the top of the forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

But as a gamer with a realy fast connection patches and updates not to mention all those lovely demos will certainly eat into a 4gig cap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

patches arent frequently released, and are never usually bigger then 100mb or so, demos dont usually get too big either, although some of them can. Most games use 56k bandwidth (you wont find yourself downloading an extreme amount of extra data while playing cs over 256k, although the pings are better... if somebody does manage to go over 4gb in a month through solely gaming, and they have an outside life, I'd like to hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

Sorry about placin it in the wrong place.

As a Gamer I have like 40+ games, and knowing me I would definitely be tempted to downlaod mods, patches, demos etc etc. I also plan to make a web site for a clan and broadband, im wondering if uploading would be counted as cap limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Upload doesnt count.

I run TMT (see my sig ) I play every night on some game (BF.MOH,RTCW AOM) I get massive patches and demos from 3d gamers.

I Upload and also download tonnes of Mods and maps for BF and MOH and i dont go over the cap ,sometimes i have an it wasnt major and never charged if you go mental they will charge you like 30gb month,but if its minor they wont.

You be fine and ping 70 on 64 man BF1942 server ,well thats it really doesnt get any better than that for online gaming :d

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

Gaming on Eircom DSL is dodgy....please read many thousands of posts regarding latency and ping times and the dreaded interleaving.

I have ordered the eircom enhanced package and i have harrassed them about turning off the interleaving....they will not turn it off, but if enough people ask them they have said that they will review their packages, and maybe will put out a specific package for gamers....The current package is aimed at downloading..check all the advertising..it's all about speed and not about latency....

Contact the ADSL people in Eircom and let them know what you want....they are a private company now and will listen if enough people ask....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by jyd
    Gaming on Eircom DSL is dodgy....please read many thousands of posts regarding latency and ping times and the dreaded interleaving.

Jesus h christ. You'd swear you were getting a ping of 100 with it.

Pings are grand with eircoms dsl. They can be a little higher than ISDN but with dsl your getting all the advantages of the extra bandwith that you dont get with isdn.

In short, ADSL is not only suitable for gaming, it has revolutionised gaming.

Having said that, i do agree that everyone should ring eircom and get them to turn interleaving off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yah its the greed setting in now ,we once had 200+ ping now we get 70+ now we want 40.

Just greedy bastards the lot of us :D
    But greedy in a good way :p
    kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by sceptre
    Eircom supposedly have DSL available from the Castletroy (LLC) exchange - though I know no-one with it and can't figure out how they fitted any equipment into it.

A company I used work for in the Tech Park recently got it installed afaik. I'll check that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Originally posted by jyd

I have ordered the eircom enhanced package and i have harrassed them about turning off the interleaving....they will not turn it off, but if enough people ask them they have said that they will review their packages, and maybe will put out a specific package for gamers....The current package is aimed at downloading..check all the advertising..it's all about speed and not about latency....

Contact the ADSL people in Eircom and let them know what you want....they are a private company now and will listen if enough people ask....:p

I have annoyed them aswell, several times with different email addresses and calls :)

They didnt event want to consider it.

Christ Im having a fit hearing about pings of 70-100 lol, all i can get with my 56k is about 300, 250 if im lucky. How about hosting games where ure allowing 56kr's to play, will there be lag for them or the host? (just wanna know because most of my online friends are Americans hehe, 2 have them have broadband but around 12 of them have 56k's)

Is that offer of DSL at €55 from eircom out yet or do I have to wait till march ?

the new option from eircom is still with the regulator....and once they announce it (hopefully in March) there will be a lead time of between 3 and 6 weeks...currently the lead time is three weeks and that is without the extra orders for the new cheaper option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i was on the fone to the dsl deparment today and got my line checked - exchange not upgraded wouldnt u know and then i went on to ask about their cap, proceeded to tell here how appauling it was, only to be fed with tripe on the "advanced" adsl package, i then asked about their new cheaper service in march where she stated several times it would be €45 including vat

baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

It seems fine, most of the time I host the games too.
    I haven't noticed any lag problem.
    It seems to use up very little bandwidth too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by BArra
    where she stated several times it would be €45 including vat
    She probably believes it too.

It seems fine, most of the time I host the games too.
    I haven't noticed any lag problem.
    It seems to use up very little bandwidth too.

With most rts's I dont experience lag unless its a 6-8 player game, I want that 6-8 player to be non laggy lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

rts games are one thing.. but fps games are different and you need low ping for them - and Eircom DSL does not give low enough ping for me.

• Advertisement

FPS games are ok too, I can make do with a 300 ping and get the odd lag bursts, if there is a ping of 100 i dont care. (fps games ive played are RTCW, Team Fortress, good couple more good games :))

i am getting pings between 75 and 110 for moh with eircom dsl. It would be 45 if there was no interleaving :(

But it still rocks...and i will not give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

If you're in the Limerick/Clare area, MidWestWAN are setting up a wireless network set up between Shannon/Raheen/Cratloe/City centre. Pings can be as low as 20ms, when there's no heavy transfers going on. There's a meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday 4th March) in the Two Mile Inn at 8:00pm if you want to talk to some of the ppl involved. Also, check out www.midwestwan.org
    Cheers,
    Dave.

Advertisement