Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouserat DM 1 beta release

Options
  • 12-03-1998 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Since we have these duel competitions coming up, I decided to get an unfair advantage by
    designing my own duel level and hiding a few quads in the walls for myself (kidding).

I've designed a duel (small ffa?) level which is available at http://weber.ucg.ie/dermot/mr1beta.zip,
    and I'd like people in general to take a look at the level to see what they make of it. Keep in mind
    that this is my first quake level and I only started making the level AND using Worldcraft for the first time on Tuesday,
    so I havn't put an awful amount of time into making it look pretty. Comments on what you make of the level are
    appreciated, as I can only learn from my mistakes, plus the first person to spot the really cool rocket jump on the level
    wins an all expenses paid weekend for two in Paris.

Items on the level include: 2 rl's, 2 gl's, 2 sng's, 1 lg, 1 ra, 1 ya, 2 ga, 1 pent and 1 quad. Note it IS just
    possible to get the quad without waiting for the pent, but the other guy had better not be waiting
    for you when you appear with it.

Oh, plus I havn't decided a name for the level yet, suggestions on the back of a postcard to Mouserat@quake.ie

Dermot

PS - note I only started on Tuesday and it is now finished (more or less) on Thursday (ok Friday morning). Theres no excuse for us not
    to make our own levels - who are the talented people out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Now that I've seen it in the light of day I spotted a few
    texture bugs and brightened the map up a little bit. The latest version is
    available at the same address, this is just in case you already downloaded
    the file. Well sorry, but you wasted your time.

Please mail me with reports of any bugs you spot. A screenshot would probably be handy too.

Dermot

Right - I'm no expert. I've been editing for a short while and haven't produced a level of note yet but.....You wanted some feedback so here it is. The level does look pretty good. No worries there. The two problems for me are:-
    1. Lighting - I think it's a good idea to have very few areas of total darkness. Maybe a few little spots.
    2. The Platforms - very easy to hit your head - if this is intentional then fair enough but I think most DMers like to be able to keep moving all the time - especially on a small level. It's easy to be a sitting duck trying to position yourself properly.
    That's it basically - plays well with the omicron bots. Overall a good level Mouserat.

P.S. Starting work on a DM level myself today - I'll do like you when I'm finished and look for some feedback.

: PS - note I only started on Tuesday and it is now finished (more or less) on Thursday (ok Friday morning). Theres no excuse for us not
    : to make our own levels - who are the talented people out there?

Actually, Monday and Wednesday, I was getting confused that late at night

To help out the 'wannabe' level designers (I'm one of em :)
    Ok silly Questions first..

What level editor are u using ?
    What other tools do you think a level designer requires ?
    Any helpfull hints ? :)

The flashing lights are a pain in the a.r.s.e

• Advertisement

Nice lev Dermot, but those lifts are flippin infuriating!!
    Though i love the quad/pent setup...All in all, well done
    U've set a fine example

Jaysus, that level is putting it to us, great start dermot. I'd say we'll all have a shot at building 1-1 levels now. Enjoyed playing on it last night with Malek for a while, a few throwaway remarks -

* it pretty well for a 1-1 level, it certainly looks feels very original.
    * Maybe if the lifts were a little bigger, they wouldn't be so annoying, you wouldn't hit your head so much, and you could move around the level faster (better flow?), though that's probably just a problem with my skill!!
    * If the texture of the lift was a bit different from the floor (I dunno if it's possible), it wouldn't look so strange (the lifts become part of the floor for a moment)
    * The overhead tunnel and the R/A location is nifty.
    * The pent quad setup is funny - first one to get it is guaranteed a rocking start. Thankfully, the density of transporters and dark spots makes evading the powered chap easier. Can you get quad without pent? Didn't spend too long trying last night, but I reckon you'll need 100h or a fancy lava jump to reach it. Plus, you'd come out the far end a glowing target.
    * It's a bit dark, but I don't mind that in 1-1's (you're not going to gib your teammates)

all in all, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Mouserat

Ok,
    im using WorldCraft 1.5b, which is dead easy to get the hang of - I only saw it for the
    first time on Monday, although I did play around with QOOLE a few months ago so knew
    how entities and stuff worked already. Other tools you require are coffee, and a pen and paper
    to sketch the level out on paper first. Helpful hints, I dunno, im still learning myself. I think
    that first level of mine is technically alright but possibly a bit dull when it comes to actual
    playability. Im thinking of moving a few items around to make it more interesting, I've an idea
    or two, but any of you lot have any suggestions?

Other points:
    Flashing Lights a pain in the a.r.s.e - yeah they sure are arent they? :) Deliberately off putting

Bigger lifts - I was debating this one myself before I ever relesed it, I think I will make them bigger

Lift texture - I could just stop it from disappearing into the floor

Lighting - im not sure what version you've got, If its the one with 6 lights in the centre room then its
    up to date, the original one was far too dark.

Quad without pent - yeah thats the whole point - you CAN get the quad without waiting for the pent if you
    have the red armour and 100% health, but by the time you get it you reappear out in the main room with a mere
    20% health or so, plus the other guy has a fair amount of places he can be waiting to ambush you from so going for
    the quad is very risky - probably suicidal once the opponent knows the level well.

Dermot

: Quad without pent - yeah thats the whole point - you CAN get the quad without waiting for the pent if you
    : Dermot

When I said "pent/quad is funny" - I meant funny ha-ha - I really liked it! :-)

: Quad without pent - yeah thats the whole point - you CAN get the quad without waiting for the pent if you
    : Dermot

When I said "pent/quad is funny" - I meant funny ha-ha - I really liked it! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement