Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bf1942 lag

Options
  • 26-02-2003 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

When I try to play bf1942 online, my ping tends to be ok (about 90) but I get terrible lag frequently. This never happens with other games - does anyone know how to even it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have you tweaked the game to run smoothly??
    Lower sound setting seems to do it for a lot of people.
    The game is a very heavy resource user so the server has to be good.

BF since 1.3 isnt laggy for me ping around 70-80 running G 3 ti 500 with res at 800x600 and sound on low.
    Perfect online cept for Santa Croce in RTR some reason i get a bit laggy on that map and only that map.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

I have everything at max and I get great pings with 128k isdn and a great ping with 64k but loads of lag :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

isdn on bf1942 is designed for isdn 112k. An american type?

If your on ISDN, you must stick your connection to 56k (unless u use 128k). That fixed the major lag problems for me way back in the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont get too much lag. And i play with just about everything on full or high :) Good 56k ;)

Make sure you pic a good server. othing outside the UK for me, execpt Boomtown, they have good servers. Also nothign more then 24 players man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'll give it a shot - thanks for the tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I used to have the same problem during the first games. Then I decided to upgrade my memory to 768MB. Since then, absolut no problems with lags, even on _very_ ressource taking maps (like Guadalcanal, Santo Croce etc.).
    The R2R maps seems to use much more ressources (how ever).

The second problem that occurs to me from time to time: there seems to exist some "timeouts" with eircom isdn.
    When I play long sessions with my friends, every hour my ping goes from ~90 up to 150 or much higher (this is much to much to do a man fight in bf). and then after one minute it goes down to normal again. :confused:

Strange things happen.
    but it is a good idea to look in the player stats form time to time. if there is a player with a low ping, he will make the hole game slower.

how ever, from today on I have Leap Broadband and I hope my ping will go down. I think even a ping of 90 ist to high for a fight.
    everytime I face an enemy with a ping of 40 or less he kills me. ;-)

But pings in ireland are very bad, my friends in germany use to have much less latency on their connections, even on servers in the uk. :-((
    jochen

The Netcode in BF is actually very good ,people overlook this and blame bad netcode etc: etc:

When the fault is their systems cant run the game at the speeds its meant to DICE have created a unique and awesome game but at some cost to resources.

Now i have it running sweetly on good uk servers with up to 64 players i get a nice even 79 ping.

Must gather boards users into a clan battle for fun :D
    kdjac

hi KdjaC,

The Netcode in BF is actually very good ,people overlook this and blame bad netcode etc: etc:
    When the fault is their systems cant run the game at the speeds its meant to DICE have created a unique and awesome game but at some cost to resources.

you are absolutely right.
    no one could image such a fantastic game some years ago. And I do agree, the netcode is very good.

Must gather boards users into a clan battle for fun :D
    kdjac

Tell me place and time :D

no, actually I am not vera good.
    What is your nickname? I will have a look in the stats and then ask you for a battle.... :D:D

jochen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yea. Humm... so many 56k'ers :)

You need a minimum of 256Mb Ram really to play BF. Most of the lag people get is due to there PCs not being able to handle the game however the 1.3 update really helped the game use less resources. The next update will hopefully improve it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't think it's my system that's slowing things down - I was kinda hoping for quake/half-life style console commands. When I installed my ISDN modem, I got terrible lag in tfc, but solved it with a simple 'rate 8000' command in the console. I've looked at some bf1942 sites but haven't been able to find anything similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Im a Tank man meself ,never go into the sky unless i have just been blown up.

[DaDs]Kdja

Havent added the C as i have good stats as Kdja :D

kdjac

I will keep my eyes open for ya :D

mine is: [wn] falscher_bart

there are no irish servers around, are they?

jochen

Advertisement