Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this PART of Liverpool's answer?

• 26-02-2003 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I was kinda aprehensive putting up another thread on Liverpool because of the possibility of it turning into yet another flame war. So if it does I apoligise:(

But I can't understand why the problems aren't being solved at Liverpool. I'm hoping these two new French youngsters that are coming into Anfield this summer look really promising. Anthony Le Tallec and Sinama Pongolle will be part of the answer to Liverpool's one demisional hopeless playmaking. After the Under 17 World Cup there was alot of interest in them but GH managed to get their signitures. He is also reportedly in regular contact with their coach so he obviously thinks there is alot of promise there.

They're saying already that Pongolle is already on his way to becoming the next Henry and Le Tallac is an unpredictable playmaker. TBH I've never seen either of them in action so Im only going on reports and all that.

But are they the answer. I'm unsure because they are relatively inexperienced and also unless GH changes the way he plays his team, the two lads won't fit in at all. I still think they need to bring in an experienced playmaker, someone like Yakin or Kewell. Maybe this will be the catalyst for change at Anfield. So what do ye think?

Are they the answer?
    Will they make an impact?
    Or will they just be added to the list of French failures under the GH regime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

never heard of them so can't really comment.

however there is a huge influx of french players into the premiership atm. Teams with french managers tnd to mainly go for french players. ie Wenger and GH. Not sure if thats the way to go. I know its worked for wenger but not all french players are good ffs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Houllier has tried to mimic Wenger by bringing over lesser known players but he hasnt got the management skills wenger has in managing young talent. He isnt able to get the best out of these potential young wizzkids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

If those lads are only under 17 age group it is going to be at least two season before they break through to regular first team slots. I dont think Houllier has that long to wait for them, so I do not think they are the answer to the Pools problems. But it is good of him to consider the next guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

They will both be 19 this October. And they have played alot of first team football for Le Havre for last two years.

I agree GH has failed to make stars out of unknown players. If he concentrated on developing a strong squad and then began to look to the future instead of coming straight into the team, announcing a bull**** five year plan and then messing up the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

GH Has spent £100 million building the team he has,and now you'r saying forget about that these two 17 year olds will turn it all around.If you believe that you'll believe anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

These players will not help ye, the problem is the manager and the fact there are way too many heartless flutes playing for ye.
    They are not even trying at the minate, look at the 2nd goal, how many pool players are sprinting back??

The answer to that is the root of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I agree with yop.
    There was a lot of hype behind the signing of the 2 young French lads. Mr. Ferguson phoned Houllier to congratulate him on the signings when he found out.
    But how are they going to fit into a team with constant unneccesary rotation and ultra-defensive tactics??? it will be quite an eye-opener for them...

That's exactly what I was thinking. They will be lost if GH doesn't change and consolidate his tactics and get one core first team together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I agree with Yop also.

GH can bring all the talented youngsters he likes but if he keeps telling them to hoof it long for owen, heskey and baros then nothing will change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There are 3 players available, at a price of course, that will solve pools problem.

Overmars , Macca, Duff.

The problem is that ye have no wingers, who can run with the ball and get crosses into the likes of Baros and Heskey, if they do not score Owen will pick up the pieces.

I know is sounds very simple, but the laughable thing is I think it is that simple. Just the rednose or GH cannot seem to figure it out

• Advertisement

I read in an article that the board will put up 20million for transfers this summer. That's not a whole lot when we're talking about players like Overmars or Duff. It also mentioned that the excess baggege in the team would be sold on to generate more funds. They need to cut the like of Traore, Biscan, Xavier, Cheryou etc. and bring in a good playmaking midfielder and bring back Partridge. The defence is solid enough and so is the forward line. The midfield are playing too deep and leaving a huge gap between them and the strikers. So if they want to go forward they have to hoof it. As far as I can see the strike force would play better if they were more involved in play like Giggs last night. But all the do is try and control the long ball against four or five defenders.

So the root of the problem is GH's defensive game startegy. He wanst the opposition to take the game to Liverpool which backfires 9/10 times. It'll be interesting to see what exactly GH does during the summer.

He said to liverpoolfc.tv today that he wants "to reassure all fans that he will be here for the long haul" and won't give up.

That's nice of him isn't it? :(

As a united fan I am totally reassured by that, and I would like to thank Mr Houllier for his concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

look at the 2nd goal, how many pool players are sprinting back
    I'm not making excuses, but Carragher went off and Diao and Henchoz had.n't sorted out the right-back position and both went up for a corner and that corner of the field wide open.

The 2 French lads are brilliant and won the Youth WC signle handedly. Polle scored 3 hatricks (Compare that to Owen). They may end up staying another year at Le Harve. Even if they never put on a red shirt, as an asset they are worth more than the 6M paid for them.

The sad thing is that Poole is a forward and if he comes next season he will be behind Owen, Baros, Mellor, Heskey etc. La Tallec will be behind a host of midfield players also. Then again they could set the world on fire although they haven't really set the French League on fire yet. They both play U-21 and seem to be doing OK.

Remember Bobby Robson outbid GH for Viana at 9M and he has yet to shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It does'nt really matter how talented new signings are if they are forced to work within a philosophy that is anti-attack, anti-flair. They'll either loose whats attractive in them or just
    rot before they leave....Houllier is the problem not the players.

Mike.

edit> Just found this on Yahoo -
    One of the World Cup's star performers last summer Hasan Sas was linked with a move away from Galatasaray, and Liverpool were strongly rumoured to be after him to provide more attacking options. However, nothing happened, and with his contract in Turkey expiring in the summer, his agent is again talking up a move to Anfield. Hakan Azman said: "Liverpool desperately wanted to sign him at the beginning of the season. They were prepared to fork out a transfer fee rather than wait. But he wanted to stay in Turkey and see out his contract." This now gives Liverpool the chance to pick him up for free, though there would be plenty of competition for Sas, who was Turkey's best player in Japan and South Korea.

I'd sooner see Sas join than a couple of kids.

The latest tranfer speculation on liverpoolfc.tv has mentioned Sas as well. He would be a very nice signing but again only if GH changes his ideals. Also mentioned are Kewell who still hasn't renewed his contract at Leeds and Cisse was mentioned in there as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Its Not more Players Liverpool Need it's a new manager,you'll already have enough quality players that your able to sell the likes of fowler etc.

But GH has siad he doesn't want to leave and the board seem to be sticking by him, maybe because they don't have a hstory of sacking managers easily or because they're just too damn weak and because they believe the tripe that GH comes up with week in week out.

So it looks like they will have to make the best of a bad situation and hope the transfers will do something to liven up the team

There's no way Houllier will still be manager come the start of next season.
    He will leave by mutual consent on medical grounds.

If he's still in charge then I will be quite upset :(

While I do think you are right and it is time Houllier went, you should bear in mind that at United there was a time the vast majority of fans ( including yours truly ) wanted Fergie to go but the board stuck with him. Maybe it is not the board is too weak, maybe the board is strong enough to keep a manager they believe will do for the Pool what Fergie did for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I don't think Houllier has it in him to turn the situation around. Its neyond hope at this stage, and most would agree that a new start is the only way. Its never been the Liverpool way to treat managers poorly though...

• Advertisement

thats why i think the board will go with the 'medical grounds' angle. it definitely is time for a change. houllier had a five year plan, god knows what it was exactly, but its not working whatever it was.
    the thing is who the hell can they bring in instead that will make an immediate difference? the last thing the Pool need now is a new man in charge with a five year plan of his own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

His five year plan was to win the league this season. Everyone knows that, but for obvious reasons, its not being openyl talked about much these days.

I'm wondering what exactly his 5-year plan was though...

Step 1: Buy Emile Heskey for £11m
    Step 2: Sell all our experienced players
    Step 3: Buy lots of inexperienced players
    Step 4: Rotate team as much as possible
    Step 5: League Champions 2002/2003 ???

I'm still unsure what to think about him leaving or staying. I don't want to gert my hopes up I think. His so called five year plan wasn't a success because of his eye for players that can't play good football consistantly. I'd like to see a change but then if we don't get one he'l just have to get his head around being a proper manager

Advertisement