Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supplies

Options
  • 26-02-2003 12:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently looking at getting a new Power Supply and was looking on Komplett.ie where I saw the following two models:

109204 Enermax PSU ATX 431W (P-4)
    - Power supply Silent Series for P4/AMD

109211 Enermax PSU ATX 431W (P-4)
    - Power supply Whisper Series for P4/AMD

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Silent Series and Whisper Series is? and which are better?

Also how do the above two compare to:

109206 Enermax PSU ATX 450W (P-4)
    - Silent Plus Series for P4/AMD Maybe

In advance, thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Furthermore, how do the above three PSU's compare to the following one on itdirect:

TRUE480PGB
    Antec TruePower 480W ATX Power Supply
    € 132.47

BTW Doesn't either Enermax or Antec actually make PSU's in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I would go for the Antec before the Enermax .They seem to have steadier voltages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yes, a round up recently found the Antec to have marginly steadier voltages than the other common brands. However the Enermax have a higher ampage:

12v Rail is the most important for P4s and new AMD motherboards: Antec Trueblue 480W delivers 22A while the Enermax 450w delivers a vastly better 33A. While the Antec gets closer to its rating, it substantially lower, negating any benefit.

http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true480_spe.html
    http://www.enermax.com.tw/eg365p-ve-fma.htm (Second column, model EG465P-VE FMA)

Also worth noting, Overclockers.co.uk and Scan.co.uk (yeah I know) have somewhat better prices on power supplies.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Not an expert on PSUs but I can say that you have two of the best manufacturers of PSUs there....well Antec don't actually manufacture them so 2 of the best brands out there.... Not much experience with Enermax PSU but do they have something similar to Antecs TruePower Technology i.e dedicated 3.3 and 5V lines? Hope i'm not being too biased here ;)

Ive never heard Antec claim independant lines. Such a config would be most unusual. Infact, on that Antec URL provided it states the following: " * +5V, +3.3V & +12V maximum output 460 Watts max.". Enermax group only the 5v and 3v together (standard config) with a max rating of 200w (leaving the 12v with the over 200w to itself).

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 VOGAD

Ah I see, although I do think that "feature" is a bit pointless.. on the Enermax you could load 33A on the 12v rail, on the Antec you can load only 22A, which (22a at 12v) is 264w, you are left with 200 or so watts on the Antecs 3.3 and 5v rails.. exactly what the Enermax limits those same lines too. So they would in practice perform roughly the same, but the Enermax has the advantage of possibly providing more power where its needed (33A on 12v).

Could be something Im missing here, but Antec seem to be playing with words.

Matt

Advertisement