Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How desperate is dating through the net?

• 26-02-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Especially through sites like sms.ac and heyhowyoudoin.com
    I had a look but I don't want to come across as some weird stalker. It just seems easier than shouting a conversation in some nightclub.

Opinions anyone..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

any help man can get these days to find a girlfriend is a welcome one i'd say.
    since you allready know that the girls/woman advertising on these sites have the same reasons to be there as well , things become clearer.. no chasing , no worries what to say, what to do and so on as in RL and then getting the boot because she has a boyfriend, because she sees you like a friend , or your like a brother to her and so on.
    problem with most of those sites is that they tend to attract the crowd by placing some photographs of stunners who magicaly always find a date even before you can say 'euh excuse me'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I wouldent say it's a sign of desperation at all. A few mates have tried it and it has worked out successfully for them. I would have never thought that said mates would have to try such an approach either. I think it's just the stigma of having "Jesús. You need a chat room to meet someone nice" thats attached to it that might put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

well if you have a good social life aswel its fine imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Depends on if the chick is hot or not and how much psychological scaring she has. Always best to investigate before telling them where you live.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by cowlren
    Especially through sites like sms.ac and heyhowyoudoin.com
    I had a look but I don't want to come across as some weird stalker. It just seems easier than shouting a conversation in some nightclub.

Opinions anyone..

Its easier cause you find it more comfortable in getting to know a girl..less pressured environment. however Its also alot easier for people to have fantasy lives and be lying to each other online too.

But if your sincere and so is she then there isnt a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

how desperate is it to date on the net

Very :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

its just like them personallised ads in magazines etc... i think those type of dating sites r a bit [yes a bit] desperate. as for casually meetin some1 through a chat room, then starting to date them isn't desperate at all, just a lazier form of clubs or bars [if the only reason u go to clubs or bars is to pull] for meeting through a chat room, i personally recommend Winters sister ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

if you know that the other person is definitely after the same thing you then it makes it all much easier, but where's the excitement in that? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How desperate is asking complete strangers on the internet for advice on dating?
    I think any stigma attached to online dating is pretty much gone at this stage - the aim of the game is the same (I swear I didn't set out to make a cat in the hat sentence, it just happened :)), and you get to "meet" a far more diverse range of people.
    It was probably considered weird to go out with someone from another village at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Mewzel
    if you know that the other person is definitely after the same thing you then it makes it all much easier, but where's the excitement in that? :confused:

If its meeting just for sex (which happens quite a lot ) then theres no thrill or challenge. However there is the thrill of the hunt when trying to charm and sweeten someone. The thrill is the same as normal dating where you get the know the person more and see what all facets of their personality are like.

The investigating of the personality by both parties and the cool game of flirting and plamásing is the game and the thrill.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yellum
    If its meeting just for sex (which happens quite a lot ) then theres no thrill or challenge. However there is the thrill of the hunt when trying to charm and sweeten someone. The thrill is the same as normal dating where you get the know the person more and see what all facets of their personality are like.

The investigating of the personality by both parties and the cool game of flirting and plamásing is the game and the thrill.

Yawn...tis been awhile since you seduced a woman right ? :D
    nO THRILL at having sex ? hmmm
    whatabout the rejection, the heart breaking stories, the kick in the nuts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i would say it is pretty desperate yes..

that and people tend to lie about themselves when sat behind a computer, meeting someone and getting to know them better is always the way ive preferred it.

I dunno but i think if i done it over the net then when you did finally meet up there would be alot of those "awqward silences" ? least thats they way i picture it. Then again i tend to be quite outgoing and can chat about anything, so maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Big Chief
    that and people tend to lie about themselves when sat behind a computer

tut tut. some people are just so false.

by the way, im 6', blonde, a DD chest and my measurements are 34-24-34. and i can put my legs behind my head.

ive never tried it tbh but to each their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Down merc, down. (you wouldnt believe the amount of women who've asked me if you're single.... :P )

As for dating on the net? erk? I dated a guy who I met through boards (shock horror) for around a year, and it was one of the most positive experiences of my life.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

"tut tut. some people are just so false.

by the way, im 6', blonde, a DD chest and my measurements are 34-24-34. and i can put my legs behind my head.

i would like to confirm too that "SHE LIES" she's six two and at least a EE.

:)

Originally posted by Wook
    Yawn...tis been awhile since you seduced a woman right ? :D
    nO THRILL at having sex ? hmmm
    whatabout the rejection, the heart breaking stories, the kick in the nuts ?

About 10 years Wook.

Originally posted by smiles

As for dating on the net? erk? I dated a guy who I met through boards (shock horror) for around a year, and it was one of the most positive experiences of my life.

I've had encounters :p with 4 people from Boards. Mods are better kissers too I found.

Theres a stigma about online dating still but its going to go since we'll be meeting more and more people online and communicating with so many more people online.

People do tend to talk themselves up online though when it comes to things like personals or whatever. Wait til we all have verified online records, maybe that'll make us more honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

Ive also come across a pic of one Ms Farrell.
    :)
    minx maximus!!

You did? WTF?

• Advertisement

hmm if you want one , i have some ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Wook
    hmm if you want one , i have some ...

You suck, wook :P

Originally posted by eth0_
    You suck, wook :P

you wish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

How desperate is going to a club getting pissed off your head and slathering over ever female in sight. Internet dating is just another medium for meeting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i know many people who met via internet and seems that works very well:)
    and for some, they get married:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i met my boyfriend over the internet we are together over a year and a half, i would recommend it to anyone. only you have to be very careful about meeting them because people aren't always as they seem. i've met loads of people from the internet and all have been good experiences so far and i've made many great friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont think its desperate at all... in fact as there seems to be more people posting about this on the boards maybe there should be a sort of meeting forum.. Someone posted looking for a man last week.. probably deleted by now though.

Anyway for those that think it is desperate.. then you could argue to get off boards and go out and spend time with some real friends....

Its just another way of meeting someone and at least you cant make an arse of yourself at some club. Its probably not the best way though... I doubt many people will find love but at the least they might make some good email friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    no you're not. ive seen a pic.

eh....what????
    you're joking to freak me out right? actually theyre may be pictures of me lurking about on certin pub crawl websites and the phantom board but i dont know if there are or not, ive never looked.

data is god: it's funny coz it's true ;) (not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm don't post here that often but what the hell.

Internet dating is not sad, I would classify it as one of the most positive things you can do with the net. I'm a old git (in boards terms) @ 33, most of my friends are coupled/married so its hard to meet women in their social circles. I don't like trying to chat women up in pubs/clubs as I feel I've gone beyond the age to do that.

Therefore internet dating is a ideal option for me. I'm a member on 2 sites. I've had dates off both and gone out on organised nights out as well (still haven't met Ms. Right yet but working on it ;)). I've have had great crack and made some new and varied friends because of it. Yes there have been disasters with some women lying in their profiles but hey sh!t happens and you don't get anywhere by sitting on your ar$e.

Gandalf

Advertisement