Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst ever Irish team

• 26-02-2003 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Enough of the superlatives. Who are the worst players you've ever seen play for Ireland? OK it's cruel but it's fun.

Criteria are they have had to be consistently bad over a period of time and you have to have seen them as a contemporary.

So I have an unfair advantage having seen the Great (or not) Eamon Dunphy in his pomp.

Paddy Roche

John Anderson
    Alan Kernaghan
    Liam Daish
    Ian Harte

Eddie McGoldrick
    Eamon Dunphy
    Lee Carsley
    Kevin Kilbane

John Aldridge
    Paul McGee

Aldo may raise a few eyebrows, especially among Liverpool fans. He took 20 games to get off the mark, the vast majority of his goals were from the penalty spot or against crap opposition (Tunisia, Malta, Turkey when they were bad etc). The most illustrious team he ever scored against was Mexico.

And he was old. ie slow. Two three word phrases that I will forever associate with George Hamilton are 'Oh danger here' and 'Offside against Aldridge'

The rest should be self explanatory McGee and Anderson were from the late 70s early 80s. Paddy Roche was another 70s man. Played for United, believe it or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'd nominate Richard Dunne at centre half. Surely Lee Carsley deserves a little more credit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Paddy Roche was another 70s man. Played for United, believe it or not.

At the same time Utd got relegate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Paddy Roche
    john Anderson
    Alan Kernaghan
    Liam Daish
    Eamon Dunphy
    Paul McGee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by dRNk SAnTA
    I'd nominate Richard Dunne at centre half. Surely Lee Carsley deserves a little more credit?

Dunne has always played well for Ireland from what I could see. Marked Kluivert out of the game twice.

Carsley stays in my midfield. What's he ever done in a green shirt, apart from give away the penalty that put us out of Euro 2000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

heres a list of a few who'd defo make the team!

Branaghan
    Kernaghan
    Butler (anyone remember his one and only cap? LOL)
    Daish
    Dunphy
    McGoldrick
    Slaven
    Coyle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Coyle, Kernaghan and McGolderick. HaHa the three muskateers or should I say cowboys. How they ever got a game I'll never know. Imagine putting them in any team. They don't even deserve to go down in the worst Irish team ever. Too bad for such an honour:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Kevin Kilbane is one of the worst players to ever wear an Irish shirt. Did you see the state of that backpass he made for Sunderland last weekend?? $hite, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Cant believe Keith O Neill has not got a mention yet, or David Connolly. Does Dunphy actually have an Irish cap, I didn't think he ever made the team.

Originally posted by Waylander
    Cant believe Keith O Neill has not got a mention yet, or David Connolly. Does Dunphy actually have an Irish cap, I didn't think he ever made the team.

Keith O'Neill was originally in my team but he cried off with an injury just after the squad was announced :-)

Dunphy did indeed play. Several times. I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I can believe that Waylander is the only who mentioned Connolly!! him and Harte are the only ever irish players i know that run away from the ball! as bad as aldo was connolly is much worse!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

John Sheridan could easily fill in one of those midfield slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Robbo
    John Sheridan could easily fill in one of those midfield slots.
    John Sheridan was a class player whose time was wasted even turning up for Ireland during the Charlton Era.

Kelham O'Hanlon

Thomas Butler : Brian Carey : Liam Daish : Pierce O'Leary

Ken De Mange : Mike Milligan : Roy Keane : Mark Kelly

Owen Coyle : Gary Howlett

//

BTW Eamon Dunphy played 23 times for Ireland (and probably would have played more times except that he was in the same position as Johnny Giles) so he couldn't have been as bad as even he himself likes to let on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Originally posted by ciano
    heres a list of a few who'd defo make the team!

Butler (anyone remember his one and only cap? LOL)

Paul Butler was the name and he only got half a cap :D

If I remember correctly he was taken off at half time against the Czechs at Lansdowne in a friendly after being destroyed by their lighthouse - Kohler.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd give Chris Morris the nod ahead of Harte. Breen would make it but for some stiff competition and his bizarrely high number of international goals.

Originally posted by Pigman II

BTW Eamon Dunphy played 23 times for Ireland (and probably would have played more times except that he was in the same position as Johnny Giles) so he couldn't have been as bad as even he himself likes to let on.

TBH I was a very small boy when I saw him play but even then he was loathed by a very vocal section of the crowd in a way that good players usually aren't.

From a mate in England who is a life-long Millwall fan and who remembers Dunphy from his time there, I believe that the ironic thing is that he was actually quite a skilfull player but one who was easily intimidated out of games by the hatchet men who proliferated in the Second Division of the 1960s and 1970s.

In other words the very type of 'Sunshine Boy' he now purports to hate.

I wonder what a psychologist would make of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

this is one of my pet hates, so sorry for the rant, but:

every player who as ever played for ireland has done his best, and deserves some credit.

he was probably one of the better players available in his position at the time and he got asked to play.

for some their first few caps were proably the proudest moments of their lives... they don't deserve to get slagged off...

shame on you!

[/gets off high horse]

Originally posted by kirn
    this is one of my pet hates, so sorry for the rant, but:

every player who as ever played for ireland has done his best, and deserves some credit.

he was probably one of the better players available in his position at the time and he got asked to play.

for some their first few caps were proably the proudest moments of their lives... they don't deserve to get slagged off...

shame on you!

[/gets off high horse]

As I said in the first post. Cruel but fun.

ie Not meant to be taken too seriously.

For what it's worth, any of them would be welcome in our five a side team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

yeah i know.

as i said, pet hate.

i just won't read this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Pigman II, you might not like Roy Keane, but if it wasn't for him the Dutch would have been at the World Cup.

Advertisement