Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference between CL2 and CL2.5 RAM?

• 26-02-2003 6:40pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

As per subject, I am gonna buy some more RAM from Komplett, and was looking at these:

TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2
    - Memory184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz) In stock: 4 90.13 79.31

TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    - RAM 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz) In stock:
    100+ 75.69 66.61

I know what all the other numbers relate to, but have no idea what CL means.
    Anyone care to enlighten me?

Also, I presently have 2 x 256MB DIMMS installed (PC2700 DDR CL2.5), I want to go up to 1gig and am wondering would there be a performance differential between:
    2 x 256MB DIMMS and 1 x 512MB DIMM
    2 x 512MB DIMMs
    ?

I seem to recall someone (maybe Gerry) posting something about DDR RAM being better in pairs.
    Or, am I imagining things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

CL is related to the latency as far as i know, 2l is faster than 2.5 but it does get very confusing. Those geforce boards can use two slots of memory and so double the performance.

Probally all mixed up so Gerry or someone simplfy it all for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

As far as I know, the 2 and 2.5 is the number of CPU clock cycles required before information is ready to be transfered from RAM, so because the the CL2 only takes 2 Clock Cycles as opposed to 2.5, it is quicker....theoratically 20% faster but I'm sure someone here can disprove that :) think the CL stands for column latency. Hope this is helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

If you have an nForce board and you have 2 sticks of ram you will se an improvement over one stick. Probably under 5% .
    CL2 is quicker than CL2.5 but there is not a very noyicible difference. Also most CL2..5 ram can run at CL2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I have some TwinMOS cl2.5 ram that has been running just fine at 2.0 for about 8 months now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Stephen
    Yeah, I have some TwinMOS cl2.5 ram that has been running just fine at 2.0 for about 8 months now.

How do I get my RAM running at CL2?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Samson
    How do I get my RAM running at CL2?

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

go into the bios and start playing around with the ram timings

Advertisement