Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic AE-100 for €1300!!

Options
  • 26-02-2003 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

obviously you've never bought from scan before Kramer.. they used to have a minimum deilvery charge of e30 for overseas orders.... I'd gladly pay 80 for something delicate like a projector... especially when you're still saving money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone know if this is a good projector?
    Given it's price, is it sub-standard?

Thanks...

its an extremely good projector, picture-quality wise and with the amount of features it has for the price... check avforums.com for opinions, I've never seen it come anything less than top in budget projector reviews in home cinema magazines either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the useful info..
    What i was wondering though (and you hinted at it) arewhat are the differences between a budget projector and a higher-end projector?

Feel free to re-direct me to the latest issue of WhichProjector!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by Kali
    obviously you've never bought from scan before Kramer.. they used to have a minimum deilvery charge of e30 for overseas orders....

Indeed I have purchased from Scan before - ridiculous what they charge to Ireland. They quoted £75 to deliver a case!

Whenever I order from Scan, I have it delivered to a mates place in the UK & collect it when I'm over - far cheaper.

They're not alone though. Most UK companies don't really want to deliver here, if they will, it'll cost you big time.
    I'd gladly pay 80 for something delicate like a projector... especially when you're still saving money :)

The PJ won't get any more special treatment than anything else - I assure you. I had an AE100 delivered from Germany a year ago for only €40, inc. insurance.

Still, given the prices here (if you can find one!) it's well worth the extra for delivery at that price.

One thing that would seriously concern me is the lack of a pixel guarantee from avsales. My first unit had a stuck blue pixel - wholey unacceptable. Some other UK suppliers WILL pre check the unit & replace it should one develop (unlikely though).

Differences between high end & entry level - night & day, if you're used to viewing PJs.

My HS10 blows the socks clean off the AE100, in every respect. Now nearly 3 times the price though.

For the first step into large screen FP, the AE100 @ £799 is a steal.

;)

They're not alone though. Most UK companies don't really
    want to deliver here, if they will, it'll cost you big time.

I got quoted figures of $75-100 for delivery from the US of a pair of headphones a while back.. ouch :)
    Originally posted by Kramer
    One thing that would seriously concern me is the lack of a pixel guarantee from avsales. My first unit had a stuck blue pixel - wholey unacceptable. Some other UK suppliers WILL pre check the unit & replace it should one develop (unlikely though).

Aye thats something to bear in mind, most manufacturers of LCD based products, (Projectors, TFT Laptop screens, Flat-panel monitors) have a set number of dead pixels before they'll replace it, its absolutely nothing to do with the reseller (although if they offer an additional guarantee all the better!) and if on purchase theres one or two, then unfortunaly its a case of living with it (its usually around the 5-10 mark I believe?)
    As far as I'm aware there are no manufacturers currently offering a guarantee that covers something as small as a single pixel... hopefully I'm wrong on that though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mutor_CS

The Panasonic PT-AE100(E) is on komplett.ie for only €875 inc VAT now. Absolute steal. I bought one in case it was mislabelled :-)

I wouldn't go for the AE200, any comparisons show they are identical units, apart from SD memory slot and slightly lower fan noise claim.

I still need a screen though. Anyone got suggestions?

Advertisement