Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for irish proxy server (HTTP)

Options
  • 26-02-2003 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a public irish proxy server? (I'm thinking there aren't any)

Or can anyone lend me the use of their proxy server?

I'm trying to buy something from a really anal online store which will only allow my credit card to go through if my IP matches the country of where the CC gets billed to. I know, its crazy. I've even rang them and identified myself etc...

So - anyone able to help out?

Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

why not just use a free ISP dialup connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

sorry, I should have mentioned - I'm in Australia for a year.

Anyway, I got on the IRC machine and was able to drum one up.

On a side note, anyone else seen that kind of anality in an online store? Seems a bit much as credit cards are pretty useful while travelling normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Probably one of their security policies... Bit silly TBH, you should tell them how easy it was to circumvent, then maybe they'll cop on and 1. stop thinking that their systesm are that secure or 2. remove the stupic check.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

well it's not a bad policy in fairness.

what will happen :
    1) Con-person attempts to use a credit card on the site.
    2) Gets rejected because countries don't match.
    3) Uses a proxy.
    4) Doesn't get rejected.

now instances where incorrect country occurs will be a small subset of the transactions.

also if you acquire dodgy cc number , it is unlikely that you will also know the billing address, so will need to try brute force.

therefore a smart observance of wrong country occurences along with other things can be useful, although it is not fool proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

plus it'd also be pointless if you were using a data line for your internet access and it broke out in the us or uk or whereever the mnc hq is =)

• Advertisement
Advertisement