Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 visas and working in america

Options
  • 27-02-2003 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else off boards is heading to the states to work this summer? I'm trying to organise my J1 stuff to head to either San Francisco or New York, but its a real pain in the ass to do as I'm trying to organise a job before I head over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

It probably is best to have something in the pipeline before you go out there... I went out there back in 96 on the J1, paid a fortune for the whole things so that I could be legal, then ended up working with my cousin's contruction company in New York, where my wages were paid in cash down the pub on a Friday night! No need for tax there then!

However, it may be beneficial to work in a job that you do pay tax as this is guaranteed savings! If you end up like I did, and came home actually owing money, then it is all pointless! At least you would have the tax to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just curious but is it hard to get a J1 ? Like can you apply for one and get it any time of the year type thing or do you have to plan ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Plan ahead, good buddy, I've gotten mine already. The closing date to get them is the end of this week, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Thank you for your words of wisdom kind sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Higgytash

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CLAIM TAX BACK FROM A J1 .... LOOKING FOR THE EASIEST AND CHEAPEST WAY

• Advertisement
Advertisement