Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure sign new deal

Options
  • 27-02-2003 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

And from Billboard:

The Cure Signs To I AM/ARTISTdirect

Seminal U.K. modern rock act the Cure has signed a three-album deal with producer Ross Robinson's ARTISTdirect Records imprint, I AM. Led by singer/guitarist Robert Smith, the band and Ross are expected to begin work in London in July on a new album.

"The Cure has been my favorite band for years and years", Robinson said in a statement. "They were instrumental in my approach to production. It was the Cure that opened me up to a more sensitive, heartfelt type of music, and I've been extremely loyal to that feeling in every project I've done since then." Robinson is best known for producing acts on the heavier side of the music spectrum, including Limp Bizkit, Korn, Sepultura, Slipknot, and At The Drive-In.

Smith is the only original remaining member of the band he founded in the mid-1970s. Bassist Simon Gallup has been with the Cure since 1980 (save for a 1982-85 hiatus), while keyboardist Roger O'Donnell joined in 1988. He left in 1991, only to return in 1993, when his replacement, one-time roadie Perry Bamonte, switched to guitar and has remained in that post. Drummer Jason Cooper joined in 1995, replacing decade-long member Boris Williams.

The as-yet-unnamed Cure album will be the group's 14th studio album. The band's last studio set, 2000's "Bloodflowers," debuted and peaked at No. 16 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 285,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. Like all of the group's previous albums, it was released through Fiction, it's U.K. label home, and Elektra in the U.S.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Comments

Advertisement