Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

processor knackered

• 27-02-2003 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

i was playing around with my machine & bent several pins on my processor. i know it was stupid, but its done now.

1 pin is broken with 2 next to it looking frizzled (not gold any more) a couple more are slightly bent. my question is, is there anywhere that will attempt to repair this? or would i be laughed out of everywhere.

im not even sure my mobo is working any more, woe is me:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

What processor is it? If its old enough you may be able to pick up a replacement cheap enough anyway..
    Either way they should bend back easily enough.. don't worry about scraping off the gold, that just helps the conduction, but is not really vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yes but he actually broke one of the pins

u might still have connectivity with the processor ( i doubt it )

im putting my money on cpu screwed sorry but thats what i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

What processor is it?

its a p4 1.8 ghz

about scraping off the gold, that just helps the conduction, but is not really vital

thats reassuring anyway.
    thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

would i be laughed out of everywhere.
    :D hehehehe:D very possible...

Na just say you dropped it and it landed one some of the pins. The bent pins can be fixed easily.. just straighten them enought and when you get the cpu in again it will be straighten naturally.. HOWEVER the one thats broke.. do you mean its missing??? If so it may be stuck in the board socket.. eh try and get it out.. you can possibly fix it by soldering it back on.. that would be a VERY VERY dificult job as its so small though.

well im looking 4 honest opinions elexes so if thats what u reckon its better i no.

ye i was thinkin the missin pin would be the major prob.

anyone got any recommendations 4 where to take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

think thers a p4 chip for sale in the for sale board for about 100 quid think its a 1.6

is the pin still in the mobo ? did it fall out ? r just break off ?

ive straitened up many a bent pin but never replaced one on a cpu ..

gl tho

yep. ive just enquired bout buyin that chip. im gonna have to give thew mobo a good shake tonight & see if the pin comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

re-soldering the pins is like mission impossible/brain surgery :o
    If they're bent, just straighten up very carefully but I'd say your cpu is toast, the motherboard should be fine, check that the pin isn't stuck in the socket before you install a new one :)

hmmm. wont b the end of the world if just the processor is knackered. if i lose the mobo aswell, it will mean getting the new bones of a system...........sigh, have to see how it goes....thanx 4 d advice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Check the pinout for the chip. Pin 1 may be redundant or not connected. If you dont need it then its not a problem.

• Advertisement

could u explain that again marauder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I think he's trying to say it depends which pin has snapped off, if it's pin1 then you may be lucky enough to get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Yes thats what Im saying.

There are many power and ground pins on the chip. Many are connected internally as well so if you loose one it doesn't really matter. SO it is worth straightening the other pins and sticking it back in the socket to test if it works....

If you really want to be sure go to the Intel website and download the data sheet for your processor.
    the socket 423 or the socket 478 version depending on which processor you have
    Towards the back is a pin listing. From the drawing find out which pin is gone. note the orientation of your chip and the orientation of the drawing.

For EXAMPLE for the socket 423 package:
    the top right pin on the bottom view is A1
    the next 2 tables show A1 is VID4
    the next table shows that VID[0:4] are the voltage ID pins which can be shorts or opens. This means you *might* be in luck if the missing pin is is mean't to be open.

the socket 478 package
    the lower right pin on the bottom view is A1
    the next 2 tables show A1 is not connected which means you would be in luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

send it to me in the mail, if i get it working - it will cost you 30 squid....if not, no charge. my friend works for a dell support company and has soldered them back on numerous times.

hmm.......... yankinlk whereabouts r u?

Originally posted by yankinlk
    send it to me in the mail, if i get it working - it will cost you 30 squid....if not, no charge. my friend works for a dell support company and has soldered them back on numerous times.

do you still want to do this? where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

heh, if you break up his username it goes like "yank - in - lk" so he's in limerick. I bought a laptop from him before, no problems. Send him a pm or something.

yea i just got that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I recently broke a pin on a p4 due to stupidness. After a bout of panicing I decided to try and fix the bugger.

So I straightned the pin out with some tweezers (after losing about 4514 times doing this and searching the floor very carefully) I worked out which hole the broken pin was ment for on the ZIF socket.

Plonked it in the right hole (not very technincal but neither is this solution) and then plonked the processor on top of it. Powered up and hey presto! It worked.

This probably only worked because my pin was broken right off where it connects to the processor by the bit of solder type material. Also I only did this yesterday so I have no idea if the system will be stable or not longterm.

Has anyone else had any sucess with this "method"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I very much doubt the pin is broken off.

There probably wasn't a pin there to start with (even if you really thought there was)

Straighten out any bent ones and try it.

tribble

• Advertisement
Advertisement