Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD recorder and the format war

Options
  • 27-02-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and purchase a DVD recorder. The front runner for me is the Philips DVDR880 (due to the price) which I can pick up for as little as £349.99 Stg .

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the format war. Would you hold out to see what develops this year ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm holding out for a Pal Progressive compatible Hard drive(80gb+)/ Dvd Recorder combi. I hear they should be on the market by late Summer for around the €1000 mark.

There are strong indications that Sky plus may be available here from the end of April.
    It's as cool a recording gadget as you can get.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

There is no doubt the HD recorders are excellent. I want to have either the DVD+RW or DVD-RW format as well though.

According to whathifi this month there are a lot of new recorders due for release this year with huge drops in retail prices (from the US trade show). I think I'll hang on a while and see what Pioneer release later this year.

Personally I think the DVD-R and DVD-RW (Pioneer amoungst others) will win the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

red or blue laser though??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

red or blue laser though??

You've lost me. Tell me more....

• Advertisement

using blue laser you can fit ip to 23gigs on a disc
    read about it on yahoo tech news, i think it was sony who have launched the first one

however there are different formats associated with blue laser too, so all the companies are trying to ship their stuff early to try and gain a strong foothold in the market

its vhs vs betamax all over again

but i think i will wait and see how much sky+ will cost

Advertisement