Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Diving in Ireland ....

Options
  • 28-02-2003 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hello ladies and gents :)

does anyone here do any free diving?
    i started about a year ago and have been bored sh1tless waiting for the winter to finish so i can dive again, my personaly best was 10 meters i know its not amazing but i hope to crack it this year, my breath hold time is 2 minutes average...

anyone else have an interest in freediving?
    want to discuss tecniques etc..

Later
    Macker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

well not so much free diving, although I do a bit of it every summer, I'm more keen on spearfishing while freediving :)

If your lookin for a dive buddy during the summer months, get in touch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hey,
    I'm a surfer but during the summer months when there's no swell we'd sometimes paddle out and dive to the reefs or whatever. Nothing serious really but it's a good laugh. We definetely didn't get anywhere near 10 metres (more like 3 or 4), I'm just not able to hold my breath long enough.
    I've been held down by waves alright for maybe 15 seconds at the most, but I've come up from some seeing stars. Sometimes I've honestly thought I'd never come up. It's the same with some of the lads.
    Just wondering if you've got any tips on how to be able to hold your breath for that long? I swim during the week and I practice full lengths under water but I don't think I could ever stay down for 2 minutes. What's your secret?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Oh ya, it's the job having a surfboard with you, you can paddle to places you might never swim to, and you can have a nice rest before you dive. You might think about getting a body board or something. Maybe not though, we did find them handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

You can do courses Enygma, but if you are just looking for tips - I searched for a load of stuff on Pippin Fererras and free diving and found a wealth of links on technique etc.

This was a while ago though. The main thing I remember was the concept of the mammalian reflex

Now I was only messing around in pool sessions for Scuba diving working on breath techniques, but even still some of the stuff I read up on was very valuable.

Gotta work now, but read up on it - very interesting stuff. The amount that is dependent upon state of mind is amazing really.

JAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

hey Jak thanks for the mammalian reflex link!
    deeper blue is a great site i learnt a lot from that when i started
    also www.iafdusa.com the site that sponsered audrey mestre's (pipin's wife) fatal last dive :( is a good site too

i have no tips only that i started at 1 minute and i worked from there, i just try to relax myself as much as possable (which is what got me into it, cos i was a very uptight person before i tryed it, but now im relaxed :)) i also dont look at how far i have to go, i just have to remember to make sure im not going too far or i wont make it back up, i also gave up smoking for a year before starting to dive (it really helped)

i have one or two moments where i thought i wasent going to make it, but you have to keep relaxed and not panic cos you'll drown and thats not good :(

i get my girlfriend to come to the pool and i just relax and go under i tell her to tip me on the head every 30 seconds so i know how long im down but the only advise i can give is relaxation. im not freediving long so i cant get into the physics of it but YEA as jak said check out www.deeperblue.com for info, its a great site, lots of info to study up on :)

Later
    Macker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have my Advanced Open Water, but got bent diving off the Muglins, so used to quite a bit of free-diving while the others made their tank dives. I used to train about out in Bray but am pretty much out of condition now - although I just quit smoking which probably helps.

I'd like to train again, but a bit more seriously this time..and it is pretty dangerous to try for personal best times alone..Anyone know of any free diving pool sessions..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

I'm not into free diving as such but I do play underwater rugby twice a week. Some of you guys might be interested in it but as far as I know theres only one Irish team at University of Limerick. Anways it puts an interesting spin on things when you can be boshed around while holding yer breath for a minute or so ;) But the best rush is how fast u can go using the huge flippers...

Some pics of the sport:
    http://home.attbi.com/~jtheriault/Photos.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

TacT wrote:
    well not so much free diving, although I do a bit of it every summer, I'm more keen on spearfishing while freediving :)

If your lookin for a dive buddy during the summer months, get in touch!

I'd love to try this out too and would probably want to do it on a regular basis... where are there any good spots on the east coast? Don't wanna just pick somewhere and have nothing to see except silt dust!
    And also, I'd like to buddy up for a dive or two myself!

Cheers
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

This is a very old thread you're after resurrecting, but id also be interested in seeing what kind of craic is going on in terms of free-diving in ireland. I wouldnt mind trying my hand at it, i can hold my breath at least 2 & 1/2 - 3 mins without any practice/training.

Im also curious as to what kind of irish records exist, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Haven't read the Mamilian Reflex link as I'm in work but I do know the deeper you go the less desire you'll have to breathe. The desire to breathe is not driven by the need for oxygen but the need to expel carbon dioxide. When you're deep the pressure compresses the body's fluids and the gasses contained there in, like carbon dioxide and nitrogen. This in turn fools the body into thinking there's less CO2 then there is which reduces the need to draw breath. I've done some skin diving, not in Ireland (brrr!), and this is the technique used but its also why you shouldn't skin dive alone. If the CO2 levels get to high in your blood you pass out and could drown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Hi guys,

Please be aware that Freediving demands a basic knowledge of Physics and Physiology from a safety point of view. If only to equalise without problems.

Would suggest you take a tour of the Irish Underwater Council website
    and search the Snorkelling section for training modules. You will have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Also. Google "Shallow Water Blackout" - you will be surprised at what is out there.

Remember, snorkelling is an excellent way to prepare for freediving. They are not one and the same!

I was an avid snorkeller for years before I took up scuba diving, and value the time I used spend with basic equipment.

After training for scuba I realised some of my "techniques" were bad habits!! Ignorance is surely bliss.

So if you are any way serious about freediving, go and do a spot of research first. It will lead to many questions, and a better chance of survival.

Stay Safe,

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I spearfish and freedive all the time, it is a fantastic way to see the sights and sounds of the ocean, with no noisy bubbles to disturb wildlife.
    Freediving is quite a bit different from snorkelling and would recommend that you study some books before you jump in.
    Freedive! by Terry Maas and David Sipperly is an excellent if a little pricey book which has a wealth of information on the sport.
    Regarding SWB, it is a very dangerous phenomenon and for this reason solo breathhold underwater is not advisable.
    The explanation for SWB is complex however it is the Co2 trigger that causes your body to want to take a breath, basically when the percentage of co2 reaches a level that your body has set you will want to take a breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I spearfish and freedive all the time, it is a fantastic way to see the sights and sounds of the ocean,
    And kill them?

Private Joker: I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baldyfish

know of any free diving club or organisation around?? love it but nobody to do it with???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 voriax

Hi,
    Is there any free diving person/club in Kerry?
    Voriax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 funcycle21

Is there a difference between swimming to depth and using a weight to get to the bottom? Dont' the record holders all use like weighted rope systems to get down in a hurry? Does that still count as free diving? sounds fun either way

• Registered Users Posts: 8 voriax

There is a few types (categories) of freediving. Going down without ropes is called Constant Weigh, if you dive down without fins - Unassisted. Using lifts, baloons, ect. is No Limits. There is at least a few more, each has a different record. I am just a beginner, for more info search the web.
    Kind regards

Advertisement