Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I have helped?

• 28-02-2003 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was walking in the same direction as a guy (about the same age as me, in his 20s) in a wheelchair was going. He seemed to be having a bit of a struggle going along the path (there's not much of an angle on the path, but there is one). I thought that I should ask if he wanted a push, but I didn't know if he'd be offended by me thinking he needed help. As it turned out, I just walked on.

I don't know if there are any wheelchair users here on boards, but I feel somewhat guilty for not helping. Would you be offended if someone offered to help push you along, or would you prefer to manage by yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Id say as long as you asked in a non patronising way it would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well it can't hurt to ask the wosrt they could say is fúck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well if they are having trouble then its silly if they get offended...just make sure you ask nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My dad has been wheelchair bound for the past 25 years. He hates it when people are patronising and make him feel like he can't do anything for himself.

However if you said "can I give you a hand mate" or something along those lines as oppsed to "can I help you up the hill" you would have been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect "You look like you are having difficulty, would you like a hand" would work.

I would often offer a blind person my arm to cross the road, in particular if they look like they are in difficulty (say with roadworks) and they are usually glad.

A hand up, not a hand out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

if they were having trouble i wouldnt have thought they would be offended at an offer of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Unreg
    I feel somewhat guilty for not helping.
    What is this 'guilt' thing you speak of..?

(tbh, if you feel so guilty at something like this that you feel you need to post anonymously then you do have some issues to resolve, alright)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I just recently help a woman in a wheelchair through a door with a little ramp in front of it.
    All I said was 'Would you like a had?' as she was having difficulty staying on the ramp and opening the door.
    She was quite grateful, and I didnt linger, just held opened the door, said goodbye and walked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Victor
    I suspect "You look like you are having difficulty, would you like a hand" would work.

Jeese, I'd expect a **** off after saying that. One thing to just offer a hand, another to state that you think they need it. I'd imagine that would rub people up the wrong way unless they were desperate.

Gav

Advertisement