Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinME gets worse

Options
  • 28-02-2003 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Security flaw found in Windows ME (from CNET.com)

Microsoft has issued a software patch for what it calls a critical security flaw in its Windows Millennium Edition operating system, according to the company's Web site. The security flaw is a "buffer run" vulnerability, which, if exploited, lets an attacker execute software programs on a victim's computer. The flaw could allow attackers to delete files, run software code and modify programs that appear to have originated locally on the victim's PC, according to the warning on Microsoft's Web site.

more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The real security flaw is in the head of any person who tortures their pc with WinME. People, stop the torture now. Take your WinME CD and play frisbie with, preferably against a nice, large, brick a wall. You'll be doing yourself a huge favour and you'll feel better for destroying a small piece of Micro$oft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I am patching security Vulnerabilities every week on various Unix platforms, you only have to run a live update on M.E whats the problem like?

Any system you run these days is going to have to be updated at a lot of stages every year.

Take the M$ worm people where given over six months notice to patch up.

Take the openssl problems on linux and freebsd it was in the wild and loose before we where even told about it.

Fault an O.S on actually facts not just " ah i have to update this is crap"

Regards

ok. how about the *fact* that it crashes constantly. i don't have a problem with updates. i can understand that they can't completely test the software and there will always be bugs to be fixed. but MS just shoved that os onto the market without even finishing it. I honestly dont understand why MS didnt just scrap ME and concentrate more on XP.

I am not standing up for windows M.E belive me, but you are making the point that ME keeps crashing have you looked into this problem before saying thats it ME is crap?

Maybe a software conflict or damaged .dll files in which some other software over wrote?

You might want to even try a selective startup ?

Regards

i know you're tryin to make a point here, but i get the impression u think the same, and everybody can't be wrong. i don't know one person who has a good thing to say about that os.

I am making the point that ME keeps crashing, because thats the one thing it does best. software doesn't conflict with ME... ME conflicts with software. I've come to this conclusion from trying all of the same software i had on ME on other OS' and had no problems.

Now, i'm not gonna argue with any man over something as pathetic as WinME when we both know what a wonderful os it is. I just wanted to tell anyone who has it or is going to get it, that i would highly recommend playing frisbie with it against a nice, large, brick a wall.

There, i said it.

• Advertisement

Notting like proving a point as for my view on M.E I would rather not comment. I anit trying to flame you, I just mean when you say somthing is crap back it up with some feedback on the product.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 kirracol

Windows Me is OK. The problem is the software designed by other companies that modify or change files on the system. The only reason security patches have to be downloaded is because of muppet hackers who think it fun to ceate havoc with other peoples system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I agree with the fact that every OS has its vulnerabilities, and MS OSes have been plagued more than others due to their popularity.

BUT.. Windows Me is by far the most buggy OS I have come across. It was a rushed afterthought after MS decided to offer a seperate 9X kernel OS instead of preparing Windows 2000 for home users. I can honestly say I've never used it for a day without coming across problems that made me long for Windows NT or even 98.

Popular opinion in a poll here last year showed I wasn't the only one..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41996&highlight=best+version+windows

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Me was great if you went into it without pre-opinions of it. Far better than 98se was anyway, and was my Os of choice for a multimedia pc till Xp came out (win2k wasn't compatable with enough things).

9x kernel os's will be buggy and vulnerable, fact is if you've got anything important on a pc, you should be using the NT kernel.

Advertisement